Attic entry door has warped- Any suggestions?

+4
My attic entry door has warped over the years. I've tried adjusting the springs to no avail. I plan on getting some stick-on weather stripping but afraid it will not adhere well and just fall off with all the attic heat. (I live in Texas)
Any suggestions?
q attic entry door
  • Suzette Suzette on Jul 10, 2017
    Hi Bill, It looks like you don't have proper ventilation/insulation in your attic! Plus, if you have your air on, cool air is getting up there and making the prefect storm, causing your door to warp. If nothing else, you need to insulate around your door to prevent cool air from getting in.
    This video shows a man fixing a warped door, but you could probably use the turnbuckle technique to fix your attic door! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDsSc8cSG1I

Good luck!!

• Have you thought about installing attic fans? They will make your roof last longer, keep your house cooler and lower your electricity bill during the hot summer months during heavy a/c use.

In the meantime, try construction adhesive for the weather stripping until you can replace the warped door. Good luck!
  • A A on Jul 10, 2017
    It may be best to replace the access door/stairs. It is probably less expensive than you think and the savings in energy costs will pay for it pretty quickly.
  • Bill Kratz Bill Kratz on Jul 10, 2017
    thank you, probably the route I'll end up going.
  • Dfm Dfm on Jul 10, 2017
    I took a screw and screwed it shut. over winter I tape window film over it using low tac painters tape.

• Bill Kratz Bill Kratz on Jul 11, 2017
    Thanks Dfm. Your idea was just what I needed.