What would make Tomato plants die for no visable reason?

+7
We planted three tomato plants this spring. They grew beautifully with lush greenery and lots of tomatoes and blooms. All of sudden one morning the vines wilted and died. A few weeks later, the second tomato plant wilted and died. Then about 3 or 4 weeks later, the third one did the same. We bought 2 new tomato plants and they did the same about a week later. We researched the problem and have determined that there is are two types of wilt (Verticillium or Fusarium fungus) that probably caused it. The wilt is in the soil and apparently there is no solution. Has anyone had this problem and is there anything we can do to kill this awful wilt?

• Suzette Suzette on Jul 11, 2017

Good luck!
  • Noreen Schaan Noreen Schaan on Jul 11, 2017
    Did you buy from the same garden centre or store? Sometimes they are affected in huge numbers from the greenhouses they start them in. ...and often go to the same store.Try a new purchasing place and add some good soil into your garden soil. I think this should help.
  • Cindy Cindy on Jul 11, 2017
    Hello Nancy, I am wondering if your soil is lacking in nutrients. I recommend putting 1 tablespoon of Epson Salt in a gallon of water and after it dilutes, sprinkle it on the soil around your plants. Water the garden soon after. The extra water will help the soil receive the Epson Salt . I hope this helps you. Good luck.
  • Melissa Travis Thompson Melissa Travis Thompson on Jul 11, 2017
    You can always plant your tomatoes in flower pots and put them on your porch. Use rich potting soil and water them. We did this and it worked very well.
  • Debra Debra on Jul 12, 2017
    If you smoke around the plant or handled by a smoker without gloves. The nicotine kills tomatoes and strawberry plants
  • Jaweb Jaweb on Jul 12, 2017
    I'm not saying nicotine is not toxic to these plants, but I am a smoker. I don't smoke indoors and therefore frequently smoke while I'm gardening. I have currently 6 foot cherry tomatoe plants and 5 foot bushy Roma tomatoe plants. All 3 of my strawberry patches yielded fruit enough to share with the birds and chipmunks. I would look into another reason for crop failure prone to those particular plants be it either fungal or insect. 🤔
  • Nancy Nancy on Jul 14, 2017
    We actually called the Clemson agricultural extension. They suggested we buy one hybrid and one heirloom tomato to plant. When they die we will dig them up and take them to Clemson to have them analized.
    We bought new soild this year from Super Sod. All the other plants are thriving - zucchini, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and beans.
  • Barbara Fortin Barbara Fortin on Jul 15, 2017
    tHE BLIGHT IF THE TOMATOES TURNED HARD OVER NIGHT? MINE DID!

• Barbara Baldwin Barbara Baldwin on Jul 15, 2017
    My healthy-one-minute-dead-the-next turned out to be vole tunnels