I need vertical blinds on a sliding glass door in my kitchen.

+7
I have an EXTREMELY SUNNY exposure and my kitchen is sweltering. even in the winter in NY. What can I do myself rather than have an expensive blinds company install vertical blinds

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Jul 20, 2017
    home depot sells a cling type window film in various designs that you could put on the glass. You put it on with soapy water and when it dries it stays on with static...i used this film on southern facing windows to reduce the amount of heat etc coming in. They have designs that look like stained glass, bold flowers etc. one of the designs should match your style...cost should be less than $100
  • Paula Paula on Jul 20, 2017
    I have used limo tint on my Windows before. It drastically cuts the heat down and created privacy without needing window treatments.
  • I have vertical blinds in my kitchen too for the same reason. I would Google for window covering companies in your area to see if you can find someone within your budget. Or shop the big box home improvement stores and purchase and install yourself. I have vinyl so that they are easy to clean.
  • Paula Paula on Jul 20, 2017
    yes, go to JCPenney window covering department.
  • Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Jul 20, 2017
    Consider window film, Stephanie. It's easily applied and will reflect the heat back to the outside while still admitting light.

You can find it at hardware stores like Lowe's or Home Depot.

Here's a video of a patio door installation:
  • Polly Fuller Polly Fuller on Jul 20, 2017
    roman shades
  • Noreen Hitchcock Noreen Hitchcock on Jul 20, 2017
    What about an awning outside the window made of wooden slats? It would let in filtered light.

• C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jul 20, 2017
    Tint the windows .
  • Vikki Welch Vikki Welch on Jul 20, 2017
    buy some tint for your windows. Not only will it keep the sun out it will keep you cooler