What Would The Front Porch Looked Like Back In 1920

+71
Hubby and I just bought this house. It is on the National Historical Register, built in 1920 by Judge Joe Ralls and we have seen the work, inside and out, needing to be done. I an see that it was grand in it's day and can be again. My thing is, the first thing people see is the front of the house and that porch with the RED door (lol). The porch is just screaming for help and I would love to give it the original 1920's look again. Any suggestions???
q what would the front porch looked like back in 1920
  • Ennarual Ennarual on Aug 16, 2017
    I think there should be a railing. Also, porch furniture should move- swing, rocker, table on wheels etc.
    • See 1 previous
    • Isobel Allan Isobel Allan on Aug 16, 2017
      My best friend's Sister makes $95/hr on the laptop. She has been unemployed for 6 months but last month her income with big fat bonus was over $15k just working on the laptop for a few hours. Go this site and start your work... Good luck.... http://www.Jobzon3.com
  • This is a beautiful house. You can use Dixie Belle Paint inside and outside to revamp this older home into a modern masterpiece.
  • Barb Brown Barb Brown on Aug 16, 2017
    I can't see the details, but is that asbestos siding or cedar shakes? I think that would have to be addressed first as asbestos is hazardous waste and needs to be professionally removed. But, yes a ornate railing and beef up the posts (maybe) with some corbels.
    • Annamayo2001 Annamayo2001 on Aug 16, 2017
      I did see where in 1979 a description in getting the home on the National Historical Records stated asbestos siding, but home inspections since have not said anything about asbestos. So my fingers are crossed that its not because, sadly, I've already been exposed to asbestos. I was thinking a railing too, but didn't think about beefing up the posts, I'll look into that.
  • Alyssa Alyssa on Aug 16, 2017
    Whatever you do with the rest of the porch, I hope you'll paint the ceiling "haint blue," that lovely light blue-green that's supposed to protect those in the house from restless spirits. It's not only good luck, it's also on trend. Sherwin Williams "Rainwashed" is a lovely color.
    • See 2 previous
    • Annamayo2001 Annamayo2001 on Aug 17, 2017
      Karen, right now the ceiling of the porch is this horrid super dark forest green..But I'm definitely going to go with Alyssa's thing on the Haint Blue to ward off "uneasy spirits" (due to hubby's horror movies) and the good luck, cuz good luck has been something Ive never really had. (lol).
  • Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Aug 16, 2017
    The house is gorgeous, I would research "porches from the 1920's" on-line and download photos of porches you love. Then I would pick out the features you love and would work with your house. I would do it little by little until it is exactly the way you want it. It is too hard to give advice from this one photo and you want it perfect so doing research is what I would do.
    • See 2 previous
    • Annamayo2001 Annamayo2001 on Aug 19, 2017
      Thanks Teri, Ive never even heard of or know about "old house forums" or Kelly@oldhousedreams. But will definitely check it out!!
  • Ptrish Ptrish on Aug 16, 2017
    i love the house and I love porches so i would prob go large... any chance of looking st old town records to see if pics
      This grand puppy is in Atoka Okla. ( the center of Choctaw Nation). I need to take myself down to the courthouse to see if they still might have anything on it. I have google the town archives and nothing. I've google Judge Joseph G. Ralls house ( Joe Ralls House/Home) and not got much. So my only hope is with the courthouse. Supposedly his daughter Marie is still alive and was the one living in the house in 1979. She MIGHT have pictures...if she can be located at this time.
    I know you will
    Keep in touch!
      As I do things to the house I will post pictures here. I just set up my account page on this site. Wasn't sure I'd like this site so I didn't set anything up, but I think I will like this page as much as I like Pinterest.
  • Ben27899473 Ben27899473 on Aug 16, 2017
    I would look for old photos or some type of historical description of your beautiful home.....
    I'm new but so far I like it 😉
      I wrote out my profile thing this morning (I'll probably edit it later again and again.. lol) but it made me stop and think..I dropped 4 other sites for this one and Pinterest because these two are so much more than those 4. So yes I like...love it.
    Ohhhh Benttree79,'ve spent so many hours trying to find old archived pictures of this house or descriptions my fanny feels like it has formed to this chair!!  The only thing I have found is the description and I think it was 5 pictures from 1979 from when it was being submitted to be registered for the Historical Records. And the pictures from 1979 show some sparse, unkept hedging around the house and in front of the porch and there was three lawn chairs on the porch. It shows a big AC unit right in the big middle of the bay windows. (The wiring has all been redone since 1979, now there is no electrical outlet by the bay windows). I was thinking about putting some kind of greenery around the house and in front of the porch, but I've been told coral snakes are bad in this area and so are black widow and brown recluse spiders. I think I want to go with some kind of shrubbery that produces some kind of pretty blooms every year, you know. Not some plain bushy hedge. And NO AC units are going into the Bay Windows, the Christmas tree, yes..lol. I will be taking myself to the courthouse to see what they have on the house, hoping I get lucky.
    • See 1 previous
      The posts are in excellent shape, No rot! (Thank God.). Hydrangeas..your right, those would look beautiful out front. I was also toying with Moon Flowers, but I see those are a climbing, vining plant. My dad gave me a bunch of Moon Flower pods before he passed away, so I do want to get those going somewhere on the property.
  • Pat Ruge Pat Ruge on Aug 16, 2017
    I hate to sound like Captain Obvious, however, I can't help but wonder if you have checked the attic? Oftentimes, previous occupants leave things behind and pictures is one of them, if they do.
      No, Don't think your sounding like Capt. Obvious!! But if there had been anything up there the previous owner got it when he went up and redid all the beams and insulation. We were hoping he could give us info on the house. Somewhere in the timeline of the house being built in 1920 and 1979 the tower/turret was sealed off and my hubby wants to reopen it with a staircase. That is going to be his thing and I know I'm going to get tossed in on some of the work. We were hoping that the previous owner could tell us if he had seen the opening of a staircase up there, but he only owned it for 3 yrs. as a rent house and when the renter left they had been hearing horror stories about renters and renter damage and they felt fortunate that their renters left with just scratching the hardwood floors. So he and his wife decided they didn't want to rent again and run the risk of getting "bad renters" so they put the place up for sale and that's when we got it.
      I would LOVE to see pictures of how that house was back in its hayday. From what Ive read, this house was built when Judge Ralls was married to his 2nd wife. They had 10 children, only 4 living to adulthood, 2 dying before their second birthdays, I noticed one dying at 17. But Judge Ralls was a "busy" man because he had a lot of children by his first wife as well (lol). I'm sure that tower was built for and used by Judge Ralls for peace and quiet.

Thank you Sharon. These were very interesting to look at, especially the ones from google.
    • See 6 previous
      These pictures are pretty cool. I'm thinking about going with a Patriotic blue, white trimming and maybe a lighter blue on the fish scales. All I know is this greyish color and deep dark forest green has to go!! lol.
      MMM, I have found that Okies (I can say that) are Notorious for keeping things confusing.
  • Meghan Henderson-Mans Meghan Henderson-Mans on Aug 17, 2017
    Beautiful, I would suggest doing the porch around the side too almost an l shape from the door and up on the right side. Will really add more space for those lovely swing set and beautiful wicker chairs.
      MMM, I hadn't thought about wrapping the porch around the side. That's one way to cut down on the mowing. I mean seriously, we ARE looking for ways to cut down on the mowing of this ALMOST one acre piece and adding an addition 4 to 5 feet out to the right side would be one way. That's a great idea Meghan!! Thank you.
  • Rc Shoe Rc Shoe on Aug 17, 2017
    Here is a site for you
      I love the Wicker furniture she used. I'm more of a Wild West Frontier/ Pioneer Woman myself and we just happened to fall into this house. My thoughts on it were "I guess the Good Lord meant for me to be a more 'Turn of the Century Woman' instead..lol. But wicker has always stuck out in my mind as a 1920ish kind of furniture/ item, ie: like the 1920's wicker baby buggies and stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love wicker and will probably use a lot of it thru out the porch and house. Thank you so much for this link.
  • Jan Loehr Jan Loehr on Aug 17, 2017
    I have not read all of the comments on here, but just thought of something...if the house is on the Historical Register, can you paint and renovate any way you please or do you have to follow certain colors and styles to restore it to its original look? You may want to check that out before you do anything...
      According to the relator we can "do what ever we want"!!! But we are wanting to keep it as original as it was anyway. I'm wanting to get to the court house and see if the Blue prints to the place are still there.
  • Dande,OR Dande,OR on Aug 17, 2017
    I hadn't noticed if you mentioned if you did any research at you local library. Since the original owner was a Judge one would think his building a house may have made the newspaper,
      Thank you. No I had not mentioned or even thought of the library. Amazing and sad how such a valuable tool as the library is so quickly and easily forgotten. Again, Thank you for that reminder.
  • Jessie Jessie on Aug 18, 2017
    First of all, congratulations, and I am sooo jealous! It is beautiful and I hope you have many years of happiness and peace in your new home !
  • Sharon Sharon on Aug 18, 2017
    I would plant a nice row of Marigolds, they repel snakes
    Well have fun redoing your new Victorian house, I used to do this when I was young and working my way through art school. Working on Victorians was always my favorite. I especially loved all the ornate wall papers and restoring all that fabulous woodwork, and lighting fixtures. Keep us posted when your are doing your projects.
    • See 3 previous