Cutting hole in a sliding glass door?

+6
Is it possible to cut a hole in a existing sliding door and have a dog door added. I am not happy with those panels that are available from Pet stores.

• Pat Carlin Pat Carlin on Sep 03, 2017
    Contact a glass company.
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Sep 03, 2017
    Here's an idea.There are several of these on youtube using different materials:

• What are your concern with the panels? I have 2 and love them. Easy to install, easy to clean.
    IMHO, that looks better than the homemade ones. I'm assuming that it could be painted to match the rest of the trim.
  • Sharon Sharon on Sep 03, 2017
    Most sliding glass doors are tempered glass, which would cause them to shatter.
  • William William on Sep 03, 2017
    I doubt it. Cutting may compromise the integrity of the door. The glass may be tempered which cannot be cut.
  • Sharon Sharon on Sep 03, 2017
    The best pet doors are the magnetic ones, that require your pet to have a collar with a release mechanism so only they can enter the house.... no coons, other pets etc.
  • Fix It Jen Fix It Jen on Sep 03, 2017
    I've seen them done, but only by a professional company. Might need to be special order. We had a panel one installed for a while, best idea was to put it on the stationary side of the patio door so you don't need to redo the locks. Currently we have one installed in our wall, and if you go that route, make sure to save the cutouts so you have the option to repair later seamlessly!
  • Che9314340 Che9314340 on Sep 04, 2017
    Thanks for the advice!