Dolorespekala
Dolorespekala
  • Palos Park, IL
Asked on Sep 28, 2017

My crank windows will only open. I cannot close the window?????

BrandonDolorespekala2dogal
+10

Are the threads in the crank stripped or is it a different problem????

• Peg

In time those cranks wear out and have to be replaced with new windows.

You can try spraying the track and mechanism with WD40. If the handle doesn't turn at all when trying to close the window the arm may be binding. If the handle turns but the window doesn't move then the gears are damaged and the whole mechanism would need to be replaced not the window as Peg suggests.
  • Peg

You can check on replacement cranks but from my personal experience, you will most likely have to replace the windows. I hope I am wrong.
  • Wendy

Perhaps the crank needs to be replaced.
  • 2dogal

The first thing I'd do is try WD-40 to loosen any gunk that may have accumulated. If the crank is stripped, you may hear a clicking noise as you try to wind it. Crank windows are usually very old so you may want to consider replacing it with a double pane window which is a good thing in the long run as it will seal better and keep out the heat or cold.
  • Dolorespekala

Thank you. I will try the WD-40.
  • Brandon

I have this issue with one of my windows and after a while of messing around with it I realized that the trimming holding the crank mechanism in place was being pushed up when I tried to close the window. When I put pressure on the top of the trimming the crank works fine, so in this case I just need to replace the trimming.