About 5 yrs ago I had some additional kitchen cabinets installed

on a wall that had an electrical outlet on it. At the time, it was easier than moving it and I didn't think I'd need the outlet. But now I'd really like one on that wall. I know that a line can be run from another wall to where I want it (approximately 5 ft from where the one is now hidden behind the cabinet), but that would be more complicated than running it from the existing outlet. HOWEVER, I don't know EXACTLY where it was so I was wondering if there's a "finder" -- akin to a stud finder -- that can locate it instead of having to remove a larger portion of the back of the cabinet to find it.
q about 5 yrs ago i had some additional kitchen cabinets installed
  11 answers
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Oct 28, 2017
    Do you know if the electrical outlet was disconnected with the wires being capped off when the new cabinets were installed? or was the outlet simply covered over with drywall?
    Are there lower base cabinets in front of aprox where the outlet used to be, or are upper cabinets covering the space?
  • Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Oct 28, 2017
    I'm sure there is some gadjet out there, that can fine the outlet for you. Call Homedepot or Lowe's electricial department, and ask if theirs such a tool. If you can, find it, I would call an electrician to do the job, you don't want to do it yourself. If it's no done right, it could cause a fire.

    • Louise Louise on Oct 28, 2017
      Oooooh, I wouldn't have a clue where to begin. Things like that are DEFINITELY for an electrician, NOT for me. 😰
  • Ton6108226 Ton6108226 on Oct 28, 2017
    If you remember where the outlet is located, you can cut an access hole in the back of the cabinet (after taking it down). Then drill a hole through the bottom of the cabinet. Remount the cabinet on the wall. You can then feed the cord for your appliance up through that hole. Alternatively, you can mount an outlet strip on the bottom of the cabinet. If these suggestions won't work for you, you can hire an electrician to feed new wire from the old outlet down to a new one that is more easily accessed.
    • See 2 previous
    • B. Enne B. Enne on Oct 29, 2017
      @ TondratooThat may not be to code. We are not allowed to have outlets in cabinets here.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Oct 28, 2017
    Hire a professional....You will be glad you did.
    • Louise Louise on Oct 28, 2017
      This is not anything I'd even attempt to do -- don't have a clue what to do with anything electrical. I just need to know how easy it is to find the outlet before I call an electrician.
  • Ron29245393 Ron29245393 on Oct 28, 2017
    never never never cove up any outlet now you know why
  • Keith Cronk Keith Cronk on Oct 28, 2017
    You can use a circuit tester to locate the line it will beep and flash when it locates a live line. Then call a pro. Hopes this will help you out
  • Ton6108226 Ton6108226 on Oct 28, 2017
    I didn't realize it is behind a base cabinet...
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Oct 29, 2017
    O.K now I am getting a picture of where the former electrical plug is.

    It is possible to "move" it up to the wall space between the upper cabinets and the lower cabinets, providing that the length of the electrical wiring is long enough to reach.
    Depending on the direction that this plug comes from the main electrical panel, or the nearest junction box, the length of the wiring may or may not be long enough. There is really no way of knowing until you open things up.

    If you can remember behind which base cabinet this plug used to be, then the base cabinet can be unanchored, and moved out. This can be done, although due to the weight of the lower cabinet, they are generally quite bulky to try to move forward without yanking everything else out of place.
    If the base cabinet can come out forward, then it should be easy to see the plug on the wall.

    Shut off the power to this plug, unscrew the plastic covering plate, and pull out the box to see what the length of wire might be. If it is long enough to reach up to the wall space above the lower cabinet, then it can be moved up by cutting a new hole in the drywall remounting the box in place.

    To be safe, it should be reconnected by someone who is qualified to ensure that everything is done correctly to code.

  • B. Enne B. Enne on Oct 29, 2017
    Some stud finders detect plumbing and metal wires.
  • William William on Oct 29, 2017
    You can buy a non contact circuit tester to locate the hidden outlet as long as there is power going to it. The outlet and box would not be able to be moved to the location you want. A new box and outlet would need to be installed at the new location and wires run from the hidden box to the new box.