How can I fix these gaps.

+15
With out redoing the whole porch. How can I fix the spaces between the boards so the water doesn't fall through. Or what can I put under it to keep it dry under there ?
q how can i fix these gaps
Spaces are too big.
  • Those gaps are necessary so the snow doesn't melt and puddle and rot the wood faster.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Oct 31, 2017
    Can you staple clear plastic directly underneath?

• Joye R. Foster Joye R. Foster on Oct 31, 2017
    We had a similar problem and we installed a French drain.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 31, 2017
    Put in a Wooden or Plastic Beading and seal it with Bathroom sealant.

• Tom Tom on Oct 31, 2017
    You can get inexpensive, corrugated fiberglass roofing panels and install underneath the decking to drain the water to the outer end of the deck. Be sure to have a slight angle so water drains away from the house. Doesn't look bad and as a property inspector, I've seen many decks with this done.

• Julie Julie on Nov 01, 2017
      How do I install that ? Would you happen to have pictures so I know exactly what I'm looking for....

• 2dogal 2dogal on Oct 31, 2017
    The porch is made with spaces between the boards so the water will flow between the boards. Standing water on the boards will make them rot quicker. Make sure the ground below the porch is sloped away from the foundation of your house.

• See 1 previous
    • Tom Tom on Nov 01, 2017
      HA! Yep, those boards shrink, that's normal. When I install the deck boards, I space them as close as possible, (1/8"), to allow for the shrinkage.

• Tom Tom on Nov 01, 2017
    If you were close to me, I'd do it for you. But, since that's not the case..........basically you'd nail (galvanized) it up to the joists every 6-8 inches. Overlap 2-3 waves and continue. Also, where ever you buy it, they can give you some guidance too. Farm stores, HD, Lowes, etc.
    I don't have any pics, sorry.

• Tom Tom on Nov 01, 2017
    Well, here's a pic , galvanized steel might be cheaper. This is from Home Depot site.

• Julie Julie on Nov 01, 2017
      Your the best. Do I bend the steel ? or what..... LOL hell just move her and do it for me... ha ha ha thanks again. So helpful.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Nov 01, 2017
    With all the things that are important to take care of a house, this is really pretty minor. The spaces certainly are not hurting anything. The most important part of this whole thing that is worrisome, is to make sure the ground under your deck slopes away from the foundation of your house for water runoff.

• Tom Tom on Nov 01, 2017
    LOL.......depending on the measurements, you may not even have to cut any pieces. No these are already corrugated, no bending required.

• Joye R. Foster Joye R. Foster on Nov 02, 2017
    Go to this web site:

This requires effort but the water under your deck will drain away.

• Johnharp Johnharp on Nov 04, 2017
    YES