What's the best way to winterize Windows from the inside?

Rental property with older drafty windows need additional sealing or something!

  9 answers
  • Amanda Amanda on Nov 02, 2017
    Hi Anne. I buy 3M window kits. It is like plastic you put windows and use a hair dryer to make it shrink. It really works! I also purchase thermal curtains to put up.
  • You can buy kits that you tape onto your windows, then use a blow dryer to tighten it up. Or you can also purchase sheets of plastic to custom cut your own.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 02, 2017
    Tape Plastic sheet to frames
  • Duck brand makes a window kit that uses shrink film. It's very easy to use and the plastic is shrunk with a blow dryer.
  • Pascale Nguyen Pascale Nguyen on Nov 02, 2017
    You can buy window insulation kits from a hardware store or online. Kits usually include plastic shrink film with double-stick tape, then heated with a hair dryer to shrink the film and remove any wrinkles. My husband did it 10 yrs ago and we have had to replace the plastic twice.
  • FL FL on Nov 02, 2017
    The kits mwntioned above work great and are easy to install and I believe, but cannot swear to it, that you can reuse them next year.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Nov 02, 2017
    We had this problem in one rental... my father-in-law made us inside "storm" windows... using 1 in. X 2 in. lumber cut to size, then he stabled clear-ish plastic sheeting to it, on the inside edge of that frame, to create an airspace. The seal around the outside edge was created by folding the excess plastic to make multiple layers before stapling.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 02, 2017
    You can also use Bubble wrap
  • Inetia Inetia on Nov 05, 2017
    You can use two small strips of wool cut to the length of the window and two tension rods to hold them in place at top and bottom. This would be the frame to hold the plastic or bubble wrap in place.
Your comment...