Turning a French Door Into a Shower Wall.

$20
2 Weeks

We are currently remodeling our major bathroom. Our home is 97 years old and through the 35 years that we have lived here we have done many projects to make changes. We have a set of French doors that we took down many years back. They have been stuck away in a storage closet. I have always wanted to do something with the set or just one of them. During our bathroom project, we removed a wall with the intention of replacing with something more attractive. As I was contemplating what to replace the old wall with I remembered the French doors. So, I asked my husband, who does a lot of the carpentry work for me if he thought that was a feasible idea. So plans are set in motion and we get busy. It was my intent to use as much of the antique parts and pieces that we have saved through the years and that is exactly what we did. The paint was the only thing that we had to purchase. The project took longer than we intended because the weather (snow and cold temperatures) brought everything to a standstill.
Here is the door before any work was done on it.
Time to start stripping and sanding. There were so many coats of old paint on it I had to use paint stripper and sand it in order to get all the paint off. I wanted as much of the old paint off as I could get off.
Using painters tape I taped off all the panes so that I would not have to do so much scraping once the I painted.
This is after some sanding and stripping were done.
Finally, the stripping and painting are done. time to bring it inside begin the decision-making process of how to attach it to the wall. We had already discussed several options. It was just a matter of deciding which idea was best.
We ended up drilling holes in the tile and attaching it to the tile with brackets.
Side view. I have decided that I am going to paint the floor so, you can see that I had to paint that section before we completed putting the door up.
Alrighty, all is up and in place.
We placed the original door knob back on the door but, there was still a hole where the key slot was. Through the years that piece had gotten lost. I had to put my creative thinking into gear and decide what to do
Out to the workshop, I go and start rummaging through all of our antique parts and pieces we have saved through the years. I found this old pull that we used.
I am very pleased with the outcome. I still have to complete painting the floor. I have decided that I am going to do that in sections. Doing it in sections will keep me from having the bathroom totally out of commission.

Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas

• Michele Morgan
    Michele Morgan

How do you keep the wood from getting wet and causing the wood to rot? It seems to me that all the steam and water would ruin the wood. It is pretty though.

• HandyGirl
      HandyGirl

I have a wood front door that is painted. Withstands Florida sun and rainy seasons with no problem. The wall is painted too and I’m betting that’s not a problem either.

• Ken
    Ken

How do you keep water from running down between the door and the tub when the shower is on?

• Jo Ann Spofford
      Jo Ann Spofford

we don’t seem to have that problem. We keep the shower head at an angle that keeps it from spraying that far.

• Lisa
    Lisa

I was thinking of using my old door for the same purpose. In the shower so that I didn’t just have a boring piece of glass in my vintage bathroom. We are framing it in now and my door will fit perfectly. My question is.....do I need to worry about water damage? What kind of paint was used and how is it holding up in such a damp room?

• Grace
    Grace

What a neat idea. My daughter & son in law had a similar bathroom set up when they lived in a 3 story row house in Philly. This would have looked great in that bathroom.

• Sherry Hilson
    Sherry Hilson

Really love your idea! I think I would have put a matching door up at the other end by the faucet, but it is a great way to use these historic pieces.