Turning a French Door Into a Shower Wall.

$20
2 Weeks

We are currently remodeling our major bathroom. Our home is 97 years old and through the 35 years that we have lived here we have done many projects to make changes. We have a set of French doors that we took down many years back. They have been stuck away in a storage closet. I have always wanted to do something with the set or just one of them. During our bathroom project, we removed a wall with the intention of replacing with something more attractive. As I was contemplating what to replace the old wall with I remembered the French doors. So, I asked my husband, who does a lot of the carpentry work for me if he thought that was a feasible idea. So plans are set in motion and we get busy. It was my intent to use as much of the antique parts and pieces that we have saved through the years and that is exactly what we did. The paint was the only thing that we had to purchase. The project took longer than we intended because the weather (snow and cold temperatures) brought everything to a standstill.
Here is the door before any work was done on it.
Time to start stripping and sanding. There were so many coats of old paint on it I had to use paint stripper and sand it in order to get all the paint off. I wanted as much of the old paint off as I could get off.
Using painters tape I taped off all the panes so that I would not have to do so much scraping once the I painted.
This is after some sanding and stripping were done.
Finally, the stripping and painting are done. time to bring it inside begin the decision-making process of how to attach it to the wall. We had already discussed several options. It was just a matter of deciding which idea was best.
We ended up drilling holes in the tile and attaching it to the tile with brackets.
Side view. I have decided that I am going to paint the floor so, you can see that I had to paint that section before we completed putting the door up.
Alrighty, all is up and in place.
We placed the original door knob back on the door but, there was still a hole where the key slot was. Through the years that piece had gotten lost. I had to put my creative thinking into gear and decide what to do
Out to the workshop, I go and start rummaging through all of our antique parts and pieces we have saved through the years. I found this old pull that we used.
I am very pleased with the outcome. I still have to complete painting the floor. I have decided that I am going to do that in sections. Doing it in sections will keep me from having the bathroom totally out of commission.

• Gary Rice

Why didn't you use a Curved Rod that fastened to the French Door to close off the end of the tub/French Door , this would have made a complete enclosure.

• Infoseekrs

Ann, the liner *IS* in the tub; the curtain (for looks) is outside the tub.

• Roseann Simpson

What if you fall?? I’m sure it isn’t tempered glass. But it is pretty!!

• Infoseekrs

Re privacy: Caveat: I haven't tried this. But it seems it would work and I'll be trying it with an old window of my own. Uninstall the door, clean the glass very well. Mask off the frame so only the glass is exposed. Spray glass panes with Rust-Oleum Frosted Glass spray paint to your liking. Place door on completely level surface away from dust or other contaminants. Use resin (mixed per manufacturer directions; the type people make penny tabletops and bar counters with) to coat each pane. When cured, flip door and resin coat the panes (no need to spray paint again; also, I think I'd spray paint the side of the door that is away from the tub, but I don't think it matters regarding products or water splatter as the resin will seal it in).

Re Placement: if there's room so the bathroom door doesn't hit it, I'd have placed the French door farther away from the tub so that a person with large hand/arm can reach in there to clean, maybe the width of a Swiffer mop (the skinny end) would be a good guide.

• Michele Morgan

How do you keep the wood from getting wet and causing the wood to rot? It seems to me that all the steam and water would ruin the wood. It is pretty though.

• HandyGirl

I have a wood front door that is painted. Withstands Florida sun and rainy seasons with no problem. The wall is painted too and I’m betting that’s not a problem either.

• Deb

Love your creativity

• Tammy Hockenberry Brands

Love your idea!!! It looks beautiful. I have an old claw foot tub with no walls on both ends, and have bin thinking of what I want to do. This is a great idea. But I think I am going to look for a larger French door and use a curved rod. For 30 years I have had to buy 2 liners so it keeps the water inside all around the tub. It's such a pain clipping the liners together Everytime we shower. First we thought we would take the tub out and replace it but then we would have to brake it into pieces to get it out of the bathroom. Then we would be without a bathroom for longer than a day and that's the only one that we have in the house.  I so don't know what to do.