Asked on Feb 1, 2018

Chollas transplanted? How to??

TracyK SJewellmartin
+6

I know most folks would not like to have these prickly plants around. Had to get some of em out of backyard, dogs paws don't ya know. After moving w gloves, bolt cutter and really looong thongs want them around outside perimeter of fence. Have some good sized starters. Has anyone transplanted Chollas?
Doner plant top of pix.
  • Flipturn
    Flipturn

Every time I see any succulents (cholla, prickly pear, barrel cacti, etc.) sprouting up in my yard where I don't want them, I have cut them out, carried them with kitchen tongs, and just stuck them in the ground in my one corner of my backyard where I also throw errant rocks. This has been going on for about 2 years now and so far almost everything has grown no problem, even up between the rocks. I haven't done anything more complicated as far as transplanting, and the area is turning into a very nice 3D rock garden corner. I think that if you dig down maybe a couple of inches and then replant the cholla pieces where you want them, they should grow.
    • Flipturn
      Flipturn

Thanks.
      Yep, with a little patience to let nature do its thing, it is an easy and cost free way of attaining a 'landscaped' feature corner.
  • Shoshana
    Shoshana

Sounds beautiful!
  • Jewellmartin
    Jewellmartin

This seems like a natural yet creative solution to a prickly problem. Good job!☺️
  • K S
    K S

Enjoy Tx Jewell. We have Mohave & Senora, Tx?
  • Tracy
    Tracy

I had chollas on my property in .ca. I HATED that stuff. My dogs got it in their mouths, my horses mane and tails, even stuck to the hind quarters of my large quarter horse. It was a task to get the pliers and pull it all off him... it DOES work as a natural deterrent against a fence to keep unwanted people and coyote out. Though.

• K S
      K S

All, well did get Chollas moved w/o getting stuck, phee. Think put em in right area, kinda staggered em. Ground was wet from recent rain and rocky soil helped hold up the taller pieces. Yes, lots of coyotes here n high desert to keep away from inside yards. Thanks, Klaudia AZ