I would like to get rid of the brick without removing it

+8
I don't like the white washing of the brick, or pallet board. Or new brick. What else can I do that is not priced out so expensive?
q i would like to get rid of the brick without removing it
  • Mary J Cooper Mary J Cooper on Feb 19, 2018
    You don’t have to whitewash it, but why not Painot it a solid color. It easy and cheap and will make it look like new
    • Dorene Phan Dorene Phan on Feb 19, 2018
      I am trying to get away from the brick look. If I paint it will still look like brick. Just looking for something unique
    Sorry I meant paint
  • Sherry Gee Sherry Gee on Feb 19, 2018
    try painting the brick to match the rest of the area and it will blend in nicely
  • 25593779 25593779 on Feb 19, 2018
    Bead board isn't too expensive, it is available in sheets at the big box hardware stores and it is very popular now.
    Stucco is also an option.
  • Ili Ili on Feb 19, 2018
    paneling, wallpaper?
  • Melanie Melanie on Feb 19, 2018
    what about spackle you can press your hands in to raise or lower texture
  • Deb K Deb K on Feb 19, 2018
    Paint the brick, and you can always paint it back to the color it was prior to painting it.

• Jana Jana on Feb 19, 2018
    Build a thin plywood facing that would go over the brick and screw it to the wall in a couple places. You could then wall paper the plywood and have a whole new look.
  • Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Feb 19, 2018
    There isn't much you can do to brick other than cover it up. But you can "spot paint" random bricks to neutralize the colors and blend a little more into your walls. Take the same color as the adjoining walls and roll some of this color or random bricks (especially the dark ones if the wall color is light, and vice versa). The more bricks you paint, the more the whole fireplace surround will blend into the walls. The other option is to use LARGE accessories on the mantle that will draw attention away from the bricks and focus on these items. The larger, more interesting or colorful the accessories, the less the bricks will attract.