Asked on Mar 3, 2018

Paneling remodeling ideas in mobile home

Cynthia HJudyJoy30150932
+4

Im surrounded by hideous paneling throughout my mobile. If anyone has advice, painting tips or tricks please chime in, much appreciated

• Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

Hi Jan,
    You can definitely paint it. You just need to prep it first. Prepping is always the most crucial part of painting something like your paneling. Click on the link below to learn more details. Wishing you the best.
  • Ar Sayre
    Ar Sayre

I used Liquid Sand Paper first and then painted with regular indoor paint. No sanding required!
  • Sharon
    Sharon

I would first wash the walls. Here are a bunch of videos on the subject.... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+paint+mobile+home+walls
  • Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

If you want to get rid of the lines, then use a wood filler to fill the cracks. Let dry and then sand off. Be sure to wash the panelling down with a mixture of hot water, Dawn dish liquid to remove any dirt and dust. Prime with Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 Primer which can be tinted to your final color. Finish with your top coat.
  • Judy
    Judy

You will need to use a primer first or the paint will not be as colorful. The wood color will bleed through. After priming, putty, sand and paint. If the paneling has groves you can use a filler to fill in the groves to make it smooth; that is if you want it smooth. Some like the grove to show. Ask the customer agent at the paint store for a wood filler or putty. Smooth it in, sand it, then paint. You will be much happier. I know from experience.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Having lived in a mobile home, years ago, ours had some panels that were the fake wood (easily cleaned, prepped and painted as stated in previous answers) and wallpaper like covered panels. The wallpaper type were a pain to update, but, you can. I actually removed some of the panels and found that the paper was either stapled to the wood base or glued on. Some panels were better removed than painted over. You can also wallpaper over the other wood look panels with paper designed for that type of surface. You'll find them here: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004UWKVNU/ref=psdc_2242314011_t1_B000EMWO7G