Laura Kennedy
Laura Kennedy
  • Canada

How to Make These Rustic Stackable Storage Crates

$15

I made these stackable storage bins in a single afternoon. They were incredibly easy to build.

Initially I wanted to design something that I could use to store and stack my mason jars. But once I had them built I liked them so much that I decided I wanted a few more around the house.
how to make these rustic stackable storage crates
These bins stack and lock into one another and are quite sturdy.

I fashioned them from vintage tulip crates and although they are a practical storage method they are also quite decorative.

They would look beautifully unstacked on a deck in the summer filled with lots of brightly colored flowers!

Supplies (for 1 tray)
  • Carpenters glue
  • screws
  • 2 (1x3x8)
  • 1 (2x2x8)
  • 1 (1x4x8)
  • stain or paint
  • finishing nails
  • screws

Cut List
  • (4) 1x3x 30 inch
  • (4) 1x3x 12 3/4 inch
  • (2) 2x2x 9 3/4 inch
  • (4) 2x2x 7 1/2 inch
  • (3) 1x4x 28 1/2 inch

Glue and screw the 2×2’s into a “U” shape, with the longer 2×2 along the bottom. We use the drill bit from our Kreg-Jig set to counter-sink and pilot hole our projects – it has a tapered end and a depth-stopper, eliminating the need to swap bits.

If you don’t have one, you can achieve the same effect by drilling partway through the wood with a 1/4″ bit, then the rest of the way through with a 1/8″ bit. Repeat this process to make a second “U”.
You are going to add the three 1-inch x 4-inch x 28.5-inch boards to the bottom of your frames.  To ensure sturdiness, you will be adding two 1.5 inch screws through each board into the frame on each end.

Add a bead of glue along the width of your board before putting it in place.  Do not skip the glue; it adds a significant amount of structural strength to the stackable storage bin.

Once your board is in place, add two screws and fasten the board to the frame.
We need to create a lip all around the stackable storage crate to enable the crates to lock into one another.   When you place your first side piece, you will add 3/4-inch overhang as shown above.

Attach your two 1-inch x 3-inch x 12 3/4-inch boards to each end, leaving a 1 inch between the bottom and top board. Add a bead of glue and nail in place.

If you want to carry these bins around by the side, I would suggest using screws instead of nails to add additional structural strength.
Now you can add your 1-inch x 3-inch x 30-inch front and back pieces.

Be sure to leave the same 3/4 inch overhang on the bottom board.  Make sure to add glue to each piece and nail in place.
Now you can finish your stackable storage bins however you like.  I made mine look old, messy and chippy because I wanted them to look vintage.  Any finish here would work!

If you like an old worn texture finish, you can check out the method that I use in this tutorial:  BUILD AN EASY DIY HEADBOARD.
For additional pictures and more detailed instructions you can head over to the website.

• 2x2's  (1x4's)
  • 1x3's  (Wood Glue)
  • Finishing nails 1 inch  (1.5 inch screws)

Laura Kennedy

• Pat Ruge

Wow! Now that is really clever. Did you can all those pickles? My mouth puckers up just looking at them.

• Laura Kennedy

I did make those pickles myself. We garden and save as much as we can for winter. The pickles are our favorite and we can about 5 dozen quarts each year just for the two of us!