On a backsplash - do you end it at cabinets or countertop?

+12
q on a backsplash do you end it at cabinets or countertop
  • William William on Mar 14, 2018
    Looks better ending with the counter.
  • Geew Geew on Mar 14, 2018
    It's a personal preference. I took ours to the counter top end.
  • Pat Martin Pat Martin on Mar 14, 2018
    I would move the cross over a bit and buy/make a set of shelves that can face either the kitchen or the room next to it. Then the backsplash has a definitive edge at which to end.
  • Becca Becca on Mar 14, 2018
    I would end it at countertop as that is what back splash is for. Ending at cabinet would look odd.
  • Karen Tokarse Karen Tokarse on Mar 14, 2018
    End at the counter, but put floating shelve above (lining up with bottom, top, middle of cabinet) so it doesn't look off center.
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Mar 14, 2018
    You could take the tile all the way to the doorway and down to the floor. The wall around the light switch will be easier to clean, too. I do like the idea of shelfs or small angled cabinet.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 14, 2018
    Countertops - You might want to add a set of shelves?
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 14, 2018
    Countertops to make the line continual rather than choppy.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 14, 2018
    yes other wise it is out of place.
  • Dwl32556485 Dwl32556485 on Mar 17, 2018
    I would make a diagonal cuts of the tile (s) and end it at the cabinets at the top and countertop at the bottom.
  • Kristin H. Kristin H. on Mar 17, 2018
    I personally think to the counter edge. However the OCD in me is bothered that all doesn’t align. If it were me, I’d maybe add shelving to the end cabinet.

• Rose Rose on Mar 18, 2018
    Neither /Both. I would draw a line from the corner of one, to the other, and make the back splash angled from the bottom of the cabinet, to the top of the end of the counter.
  • Rose Rose on Mar 18, 2018
    But I too am bothered that they don't line up, and would really consider the open shelving to make it even. It would be a great place for cook books, or a kitchen heirloom.
  • Holly Cornish Holly Cornish on Jul 28, 2019

I have backsplash to the end of the counter. I am updating it to something else and was wondering the same thing. At the moment, it looks off and I don't like the look. I've looked at pictures where backsplash ended at the counter and at the cabinet. To me, I like the look of it ending at the cabinet. Especially if you don't have the room for a picture or shelf. My counter reaches the door frame of our sliding back door. I leaned my backsplash up against the wall both ways and I prefer to end it at the cabinet. It looked more balanced to me. I, honestly, think you can't go wrong either way. It just depends on what you prefer.

• RachelF RachelF on May 10, 2020

Do you have pictures? I am in same dilemma and not sure what to do.