How do gardeners control the spread of Hydrangea?

+5
How does one control the spread of hydrangea plants? We look after a Front Garden that is the entrance to our Subdivision, and the hydrangea have literally taken over the front Garden. They are very hard to dig out, as they send out long roots that are getting involved with the evergreens? I cut off the blooms every Fall, but come Spring new shoots are everywhere! Help!

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Mar 17, 2018
    Hi Judy,
    It sounds like your hydrangeas are growing on new wood, but you'll need to confirm that. Click below for an article that should help. Wishing you the best.
  • First, I would be jumping for joy! Many people struggle to grow hydrangeas like that. The only way to fix the problem would be to dig them out, but I would offer to other gardeners in your area. I am on Nextdoor.com which is a great way to connect with others in your area. Who knows, some may offer to come help you dig out!
  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Mar 17, 2018
    have you tried "weeding" it out, trim it back to where you want it and plant other flowers but it may be just trimming it back will help
  • Jean Jean on Mar 17, 2018
    are you sure you're talking about Hydrangeas, which are a shrub? I've never heard of them 'sending up shoots'
  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Mar 17, 2018
    It can be trimmed back one third. But, before you do that you need to know what kind it is since some hydrangeas bloom on the old wood and some bloom on new wood. Trim again after it blooms.
    • Judy Judy on Mar 18, 2018
      These are Annabelle hydrangeas! They multiply like rabbits!
  • Ili Ili on Mar 17, 2018
    I was going to say: You fortunate one with so many Hydrangeas!!...lol....it has to be another kind of plant....Morning Glory perhaps?? Those are vines though