Asked on Apr 10, 2018

Best repurpose/upcycle for cracked pottery platter?

Lina SplichalLivJcraw
+4

I have a 20" round handmade pottery platter. It was beautiful. And expensive. And, by accident, it cracked in half. I did super glue it back together. But I will never use it again for fear that any weight on it will cause it to break again. And there are 1-2 chips along the break line. Any ideas of what I can do with this platter that I will never use with food and is gathering dust? I am loathe to just toss it. It should be noted that it is thick (about an inch or more) and heavy.

Janet Pizaro

use it as a garden ornament outside.Put a clear marine grade sealer on it
  • Sharon
    Sharon

I would have to see it. But one thing you can do is break it up into smaller pieces and make a mosaic out of it.
  • Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

Hi Jennifer,
    How sad you must be that this happened. There are a couple of things that I can think of, depending on what you want to do. You could repair the spots with clay, paint it so that it fits in and use it for a faux flower arrangement container. It won't be as strong as the original, but you'll still be able to use it. Another idea would be to actually crack it into smaller pieces and create a mosaic with them. I'm guessing you'd need to do more research for either idea. Once you've decided what to do, search through Hometalk, ask for help here, search Pinterest or even search with your search engine to find more details. Wishing you the best.
  • Chris Gaines
    Chris Gaines

Not knowing what the pattern is I suggest making a clock - maybe mount the platter in a wooden tray and cut out a square for the clock works, drill a hole in the center for the hands.
  • Jcraw
    Jcraw

You can color the chips. I’d check out Dollar stores and similar, looking for a clear plastic or glass platter to use as a liner.

• Liv
    Liv

You could break it into small chunks and make a mosaic stepping stone. (Search how to make a cement mosaic stepping stone on google.)
  • Lina Splichal
    Lina Splichal

I am so sorry your precious platter got broken. You can cover the sight of the crack with Washi tape and use it as part of a decorative display (candles, holly and pine at Christmas, etc.) Washi tape comes in many colors and patterns so you should be able to find something to coordinate well with your dish. You could also use it for drying herbs, flowers, leaves, etc. If you cover the inside with parchment paper, wax paper, plastic wrap or a kitchen towel you should be able to use the herbs you dry for cooking. Alternatively you could use it for a door catch-all, you know, the mail, your keys, your gloves, your hat, your cell phone, etc. Good luck.