Is there a “best way” to face a baby grand piano in a small room ?

+4
The room has a large South window.
q is there a best way to face a baby grand piano in a small room
I plan to remove most of the furniture in the room.
  • Mogie Mogie on Apr 17, 2018
    I would put it in front of the window so the natural light will allow you to play and read music. They have nice lights that clip onto the piano to provide light when needed. Can you devote the room in the picture above to a music themed room?
    • Linda Linda on Apr 17, 2018
      Hi, So do you suggest my back to the window when seated at the piano or should the piano and seat Face the corner where the hutch is right now?
      Yes, I am able to make a music themed room.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Apr 17, 2018
    Yes - try to place the piano so the player can look over the piano into the room while playing, or at least look sideways into the room. Or in your case, out the window. Sometimes you have to do whatever fits though. Just make sure the player is not looking at a wall. I also would keep it away from the sun. The ivory keys can discolor as well as the wood becoming sun faded.
  • Jcraw Jcraw on Apr 17, 2018

Get yourself some good-old Magic Sliders so you can scoot it around til you’re happy. They’re on of the best investments $15? That I ever made. Spray them with Pledge or something so they slide more easily on hardwood.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 17, 2018
    Seat in the corner
  • Sherri Sherri on Apr 17, 2018
    My Grandmother was a wonderful pianist and it seemed that having the light behind you, so the music is well seen is important. Of course, I agree that you need to be facing the people you're playing for. So how about that corner that's made with your window?
  • Dottiewilkie Dottiewilkie on Apr 20, 2018
    Put it as far away from window‘s and heating vents as possibl. It will never stay tuned if it’s near frequently changing temptures. Grands always look good angled to the entry door.