How do I remove sticky residue left over from window tinting film?

+9
Does anyone know how to remove sticky residue left over from window tinting film that got left on my car windows after the film was peeled off? it is so thick it blurs the window and makes checking for oncoming cars tricky during the day and almost impossible on rainy days or at night.  .

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on May 18, 2018
    Goo Gone and a razor blade would be what I would try first.
    • Therese O'Brien Therese O'Brien on May 23, 2018
      Thanks for responding. Never thought about the razor blades. I have bad rotary cuffs in my shoulders and the blades will help me with less scrubbing.
  • Diane Diane on May 18, 2018
    You can try Goo B Gone or Armour All tire shine.
  • Dfm Dfm on May 18, 2018
    Have you tried chruchy peanut butter? Get a cheap off brand, apply a teaspoon at a tIme. Rub and scrub with it. The peanut oil should loosen the adhesive the peanut particles act as scrubbers. I’ve used it on glass jars to get labels off.
  • Brenda Brandt Deason Brenda Brandt Deason on May 18, 2018
    You could try rubbing alcohol.
  • Meg Stewart Meg Stewart on May 18, 2018
    I've heard rubbing Alcohol will work. Also a bit messy but veg oil and salt . Though U should call a place that does this and talk to them >>Good Luck ..
  • Gretchen Williams Arrant Gretchen Williams Arrant on May 18, 2018
    Have you tried Goo Gone?
  • Kelli Kelli on May 23, 2018
    When I first moved into my home, the previous owners left that on my windows as well and I hated it. I tore it off and used glass cleaner and a razor blade with a ton of paper towel. It was a long process, but it worked.
  • Jay Jay on Nov 30, 2020

Old thread but for those seeking the same advice. Warm water in a spray bottle mixed with a little dish soap. Use a paint scraper type razor blade. They key is to keep it very wet as you use the blade. Alcohol, goof off, and goo gone mostly just smears it and is very difficult. Ammonia based window cleaner is a close second but the ammonia does react with the adhesive and can have a tendency to smear a little.