DIY: $15 Dried Magnolia Wreath

$15

I rediscovered these beauties…from my Christmas centerpiece.
I knew that these gorgeous, now dried, Magnolia leaves deserved a permanent place in my home and suddenly my inner Joanna began to emerge.

If you are a Fixer Upper fan like me, then perhaps you have been longing for one of Joanna’s trademark Magnolia wreaths. I have!
I have browsed in the past and have fallen in love with some lovely Magnolia wreaths but, of course, I fell in love with the ones out of my price range…isn’t that the way it always goes?

Fresh or dry. Faux or real. I simply cannot justify that amount of spending on a wreath.

With this pile of dried leaves staring back at me and knowing that I spent just $15 for this bundle before Christmas, I wasn’t going to let these beauties go to waste.

In just 30 minutes, I made my own Magnolia wreath that even Chip would be proud of!

Here’s how I did it…
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
With this pile of dried leaves staring back at me and knowing that I spent just $15 for this bundle before Christmas, I wasn’t going to let these beauties go to waste.  

In just 30 minutes, I made my own Magnolia wreath that even Chip would be proud of!

Here’s how I did it…
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
I gently stripped the leaves from their branches.
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
I organized the leaves by size and then I separated the flattest leaves from the ones that had curled.
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
My leaves were also so delicate and brittle that I didn’t want to use wire to attach them to traditional grape-vine wreath base. I decided to make my own wreath base with some sturdy cardboard.

diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
I simply traced a platter and a basket and used my sharpest scissors to cut the new wreath shape out.
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
I started to place the flattest, largest leaves in one direction, overlapping the ends, to get a feel for how I was going to design my wreath.
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
I used my hot glue gun to attach these leaves one by one.

diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
Once the cardboard was covered and the first layer of leaves were secure, I grabbed some rolled up leaves and began to tuck them in around the flat leaves, securing them with a little hot glue.
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
It helped to stop every so often, hold up the wreath, and see where there were holes or areas deserving of a leaf. 
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
I used my remaining flat leaves to make another row on the inside of the wreath, giving it more body.

And again, I used the curled leaves and tucked them in wherever necessary to fill in the wreath.
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
Since the leaves are so delicate, I couldn’t wrap a ribbon around it for hanging. Instead, I used one of these binder clips attached right to the cardboard and now it can easily hang on a nail.
diy 15 dried magnolia wreath
In just under a half hour and for just $15, this lovely Fixer Upper inspired wreath came together so easily!

• Magnolia leaves (fresh, dried, or faux)  (local nursery)
  • Hot glue gun and glue sticks  (Michaels)
  • Heavy cardboard
Jennifer Seislove