What drill do I need?

I would like to make a lamp with the stem going through a stack of books. I have only a battery operated drill which will not even go through a paperback book. I’m not very strong, but I have determination. What kind of electric drill should I buy? Will it come with bits? Thank you for your suggestions. ☺️

  7 answers
  • Dfm Dfm on Jun 08, 2018
    You need a drill that you can easily hold and fits you hands. The majority of the time bits are sold in sets. Or you can get individual Bits as you need them. It sounds like you need a drill press , a drill on steroids. The bit comes straight down from the top. It’s a rental item. The rent differs by region.
  • Jim Jim on Jun 08, 2018
    purchase used lamp of the height, on/off switch style and shade type you like at a thrift store. consider a trilight. take it apart and measure size of the lamp's vertical metal pipe to determine the size of the drill bit you will need. borrow a drill and bit unless you plan on accumulating tools for future use. big box stores like home depot sell tool kits that you can 'add to'. current ones use lithium batteries and are great for what you have in mind.
  • I have been doing diy for 5 years now and all my cheap tools have been replaced already. If you are going to be doing diy as a regular hobby I would recommend getting a better quality. I personally use ryobi, makita and dewalt brands. I buy the middle of the range. As for the bits, there are cheaper to buy as a set on amazon or you can buy them as you need them.
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jun 08, 2018
    I would suggest you take one of the books and the stem you plan to put through the books to a tool supply store and seek advice. Ace Hardware stores are located in neighborhoods and they may be able to help you, or any big box store.

    You will need a more powerful drill and may need a drill bit that has a "paddle" type head...the kind that drills larger holes...maybe not.

    1. Place a piece of at least 1" wide masking as near the center of the book as you can guess (you can use several pieces side by side to cover a larger area.) This will serve to hold the edges in place as the drill goes through. This may keep you from having ragged edges to the cover when you have fiinished. This same technique is used to keep wood from splintering when sawed.

    2. To mark the center of each book, measure from top left corner down to the right bottom corner of each book and make a small line in the center. Repeat this from right top to bottom left. Where the lines cross is the place to drill.

    • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 09, 2018
      Thank you so much. I can see how your suggestions would help. This is a bigger job than I realized! ☺️
  • Peter Peter on Jun 08, 2018
    Drills might be bought at Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity.. .but get a corded drill...
    Clamp the book closed so it doesn't move. then drill through it.
    The paddle style drill is Not easy to use here... the paper isn't stiff enough... (the clamp may help... ) A twist drill is better for this. but the diameter may be tough to find. Or a Forstner bit - they're a bit expensive!
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 08, 2018
    Thank you, everybody. It looks like I have some serious shopping to do. I found a drill for ~$50, but I need to see what will work best. Drill press or heavier duty drill? Decision time soon. ☺️
  • 27524803 27524803 on Jun 08, 2018
    We have used Black and Decker power tools for years...and we have recently been getting Kobalt.... but in this day and age... the basic ones like drills, sanders, saber and skill saws... are pretty comparable... and what brand you buy is a matter of habit or preference
Your comment...