To Paint or not to Paint? If so, need a "pop" of color

TipperDawnCarol S.
+179

I just got this great hutch and my husband and I have a difference in opinions. I would like to paint this as an accent piece and he likes the wood color as it is. Right now it does not match our table/chairs (which I would be painting the same color as the hutch). I'm looking for for ideas for colors. Our home is basically browns and tans with pops of green in the kitchen. The wall that the hutch is on is a deep chocolate brown-(can't really tell in the pics)
Removed the glass and wire
Here is the AFTER. Love how it turned out! Dining room table is in the works-same colors.
Prior to the hutch
Great room - Very neutral..
Great room
Living Room - across from the Dining room
Kitchen that is open to the dining room also.
Actual paint colors
  • Barbara Eisworth
    Barbara Eisworth

Since the walls are a dark brown, if it were me I would add the medium blue for the outside of the hutch & the light blue on the shelves . This would help bring some contrast into the room. I would also paint the chairs in the medium blue & find some blue & green floral cushions for the chair seats. Look for a pretty gale green or white vase on the table with blue hydragras or some blue irises which ever you prefer. Of course , I'm sure you will get other ideas as well. Pick the ones that you think would make you the happiness!!!

• Brenda Scott-Montero
    Brenda Scott-Montero

Interesting have not thought of blue...I do definitely like the idea of 2 tone. Thanks!

q to paint or not to paint if so need a pop of color, home decor, living room ideas, painting, What about this blue I like it but what would i do with the table chairs LOL
  • Maureen Parker
    Maureen Parker

just paint the back of it and leave the rest a natural wood, maybe even add a wall paper to the back for color.

• Donna Byram
    Donna Byram

Compromise. . . . Paint the hutch medium blue or the pale green, but leave the shelving, back of hutch and the top base the wood color. See examples.

q to paint or not to paint if so need a pop of color, home decor, living room ideas, paintingq to paint or not to paint if so need a pop of color, home decor, living room ideas, painting
  • Brenda Scott-Montero
    Brenda Scott-Montero

YES I love it. Thanks for the pics. I need to see to visualize it.

• Nancy Spencer Carlson
    Nancy Spencer Carlson

The natural wood/paint is good. But for my money, I'd go with the olive green! It's my current favorite color. See my dining room wall for a sample of green/brown. http://itsomuchfunwatchingod.blogspot.com/search?q=trailer+dining+room

q to paint or not to paint if so need a pop of color, home decor, living room ideas, painting
  • Brenda Scott-Montero
    Brenda Scott-Montero

I do love my greens. Very nice.

• Rebecca Johnson Rooney
    Rebecca Johnson Rooney

How about leaving the outside wood, and using an accent color as the background color of the piece. It would make decorative items show better.

• Beth Daggett
    Beth Daggett

Paint that sucka !!!

• Meena M
    Meena M

Paint just parts of it

• April Zieger
    April Zieger

You could just paint the backboard for a pop of color and leave the wood as is everywhere else.

• Rose
    Rose

Paint. Love the light blue color, but be sure to add in a few accessory pieces with that color (i.e., vase, plates, etc)

• Sandi Preston
    Sandi Preston

Was going to suggest the same thing Donna Byram did, It looks to be a great compromise. Good luck

• Barbara
    Barbara

Definetly paint it...I would do the light green ( I am also a green lover) but I would do the back & shelves in a different color....a very pale yellow, ivory....

• Heather Wood
    Heather Wood

You can get a pop of color and keep it the same- paint the wall behind it in a blue color to make the color of the wood pop- that would be my suggestion.

• Melissa W
    Melissa W

Paint it. And the dinning set too. White. Then distress and put a stain and wax over it.

• Linda Diana
    Linda Diana

I just picked up a free chiffrobe on the side of the rode great shape is some real wood and some veneer ....i can't deside what to do with it : (

• Sherry Swift
    Sherry Swift

PAINT!!!!! Men always want wood....

• Johnna F
    Johnna F

If it were me, I'd compromise with my husband by painting just the interior of all the top shelves and the exterior drawers and door fronts (exact opposite of Donna Byram from AR's ideas and pictures. I'd use the lovely fresh green shown on the far right of your color swatches. It pops yet blends in nicely and looking through your photos my husband and I are wondering why you don't have any artwork on your walls to help add some contrast and interest? Your kitchen is gorgeous and your home has a nice layout and good bone structure, you're right on track to add some pop! Blues, though nice, I think would be too bland but that green, it sings! And you won't have any difficulty finding different accents to change out during different seasons. Let us know, please!

• Sheila A
    Sheila A

Paint it a light grey...so light that it's almost white.

• Duffy V
    Duffy V

Half and half

• Kay N
    Kay N

Could you cover a heavy cardboard with fabric....or maybe paint them and stand up in back of the cabinet. This way you could change colors to match other changes in your room.

• Wjb327367
    Wjb327367

Look into Annie Sloan milk paint....you can turn this to Amazing....

• Angela Sylvester
    Angela Sylvester

Instead of paint, I know you can buy colored stain. I am with your hubby on this. Maybe some green stain could pull it together.

• Jamie Burnett
    Jamie Burnett

oh my gosh! I was so tired of brown, (although fall colors are my favorite) that I painted my house almost entirely in shades of gray. I had deer heads and turkey feathers on the wall which were ok, I just wanted something different. My husband would say not to paint the wood, but I say go ahead and give it some color, it will make your day brighter to have a nice pop of color.

• Keri
    Keri

Definitely paint! Check out Shabby Paint Products. Their paint has turned me into a painting fool! Join the group on facebook you will get lots of great ideas. Show your husband examples and you will probably change his mind. Good luck! Cant wait for the after pics

• Crystal Coffin
    Crystal Coffin

I would add color to the walls in the form of big, colorful artwork, then bring the colors into the room with dramatic drapes and then the table with a runner or bright cushions/placemats. Use neutrals in big pieces, paint, but then use your bright colors in curtains, pillows, rugs, and artwork!

• Sheila Haines
    Sheila Haines

Paint the inside back the green and bring more colorminto the house!

• June McDonald
    June McDonald

Paint, Annie Sloan paints.

• Rae E
    Rae E

What about a combo of the paint swatches you have. The green on the end right side is a gorgeous color. What if you did that on the outside and edges and inside of sides of shelving and did the lighter gray or the mocha on the back of shelving. I've done some recent updating too and just changing the hardware to something more modern helps bring it into a new piece of furniture. I recently did a sideboard in a darker camo olive green and did a POP of color in a deep darker purple magenta and added some spanish flair (ceramic) multicolored blue, olive green, red, purple and white knobs compliments of World Market. Will try and add a pic soon. Good luck know you will do a great job.

• Pam McCoy Boyer
    Pam McCoy Boyer

I wouldn't, unless you plan on painting some other wooden items...

• Sherry R
    Sherry R

I would paint inside neutral and outside red

• Leslie Rebentisch Holland
    Leslie Rebentisch Holland

I would paint it black

• Terry H
    Terry H

Paint it

• Zippy
    Zippy

instead of painting it, i would get a poppy fabric for the back of the hutch. then use the same fabric for chairpads. I have one similiar, its a kincaid from back in the early eighties.

• Wildflowers & Pistols
    Wildflowers & Pistols

I say paint! :) I have a few colors in my paint line that would work great with your existing colors! You can check them out here ----> https://www.etsy.com/listing/186986803/the-haylofts-milk-paint-milk-paint? I redid a hutch awhile back and it had the same cheap paneling on the back. I pulled off the paneling and replaced it with reclaimed wood and painted it a cozy teal color. This would be a great way to compromise with your hubby! It looked great! You can find the hutch I just explained as well as another one on my facebook page ---> https://www.facebook.com/TheHayloftCCC I hope this helps! :)

q to paint or not to paint if so need a pop of color, home decor, living room ideas, painting, This is the hutch that I replaced the cheap paneling with reclaimed wood
  • Donna Rockwood
    Donna Rockwood

Paint it

• SueC
    SueC

Maybe paint the inside white to match the moulding. Decorator told me that on a shelving unit I have.

• Kelli Blanton
    Kelli Blanton

Try just painting or wallpaper the back interior part.

• Mary Josephine Adams
    Mary Josephine Adams

Paint will make it stand out and make it special. As is it's just a hutch like others.

• Rhonda Bennett-Hampton
    Rhonda Bennett-Hampton

I personally don't like mixing painted and stained items in a room like that. Painting it would be fine if you paint the table and other pieces also. Going shabby chic is my favorite.

• Michelle Van Horn
    Michelle Van Horn

the wood is beautiful I would just add fabric or wallpaper to the backing of it

• Ellen R
    Ellen R

Paint the hutch either a brighter blue or a brighter green. You would NOT need to paint the table unless you want to. I think painting it green would really make it POP against the brown wall.

• Chastity Wilson
    Chastity Wilson

Wood...it looks like it matches the table so well.

• Ananda S
    Ananda S

Regarding the wood and whether or not you should paint it: IMO, it's the horribly dark-colored walls that drag down a couple of those rooms, but **especially** the dining room. Dark colors are fine as accents, but when the whole wall is dark and there are no non-neutral colors in the room, everything looks dreary. Rather than painting the lovely wood of the hutch, I would paint the wall behind it, in a non-neutral COLOR that you both love. The paint chips you have are also almost all neutrals, and I'm not sure they'd help. I also think the room needs a contrast of textures, not just colors. The overall look of the room is one of hard angles, even with the curves on the chair backs and hutch doors. To soften it, I would add seat cushions in a color that complements your accent wall color. Drapes (even if you go thrifty and use sheets!), or even a simple swag, rather than plain frame windows will give another point of softness to the room.

• Cindy Betts
    Cindy Betts

Paint! 😀

• Kathy Stone
    Kathy Stone

I like the color it is, if you want to add color to the room, do it with pictures and colorful flower arrangements.

• Amy Petracek
    Amy Petracek

I almost always say wood for antique pieces, but I would def. paint this. It just needs to pop in the room.

• Kathy hodges
    Kathy hodges

It needs to be painted BUT then what about your table and chairs? It does match all your wood.

• Jessica Rabe
    Jessica Rabe

Paint it!

• Janett Brewer LaMontagne
    Janett Brewer LaMontagne

If it was up to men, everything would be wood. Paint it!!!! You need some color!

• Susan
    Susan

Darker green.

• Melissa Cannistraro
    Melissa Cannistraro

I like the natural wood, but if you insist on painting it i like the green on the left. But I do agree with Amanda with her recommendations to change your wall color, and soften it with cushions and window treatments in complimentary colors.

• Vicki Word
    Vicki Word

I always lean toward leaving the wood it's natural color; however, the hardware could be changed and that could update it somewhat. Color is good also...if done right. Add color in your accessories and lots of them......then the piece moves to the background....

• Brenda Wahlig
    Brenda Wahlig

I think you might want to consider painting your wall a different color so that the wood pieces would pop against it.

• Jamie
    Jamie

This is a plain hutch like hundreds of others. It needs some character. Paint it.

• RUTH M
    RUTH M

COLOR COLOR COLOR !!! CHANGE THAT BORING BROWN / BEIGE PALETTE AND BRIGHTEN UP !! BRICK IS A GREAT ACCENT WALL COLOR. GOES W/ NEUTRAL ( BORING ) AND GREEN WORKS WELL. ADD COLORFUL PRINTED PILLOWS AND SWAGS. PAINT THE HUTCH , AT LEAST INSIDE AND DO TABLE AND CHAIRS TOO. WOOD TOP REFINISHED IN WOOD BUT PAINT LEGS , SPRUCE UP THE CHAIRS TOO..YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL ALMOST BLANK SLATE !! GO CRAZY !!!!!!!!!

• Laura Oesch
    Laura Oesch

Paint it for sure!!!!!

• Bjean
    Bjean

You need color and patterns somewhere. Walls + furniture + wood is too drab, but I hate to see wood painted if it's in good shape.Paint the back of the shelves a pale color as others have said, and add some bright color elsewhere, like red pillows or vases and other accent pieces. Put in curtains with a print or stripe so the living room doesn't look so look so long and narrow. Consider a border at the top of the walls, too.

• Shirley P
    Shirley P

NOT

• Christina
    Christina

I think the green all the to the left or the blue one third from the left. But i like to stay with wood when i can

• Ramona V
    Ramona V

i love the look of dressers where it is wood on top and paint on the bottom. you could leave the top hutch wood and from the drawers down paint the brighter green or for a more balanced look: green on top, wood on bottom.?

• Linda Gray
    Linda Gray

Don't paint the hutch, paint the walls and add some complimentary other colors to window treatments. The hutch matches your other wood furniture.

• Rhonda Vigus
    Rhonda Vigus

Paint. I would paint everything the lightest shade of green...the one on the left. Then paint just the back wall of the shelves the blue.

• Kyla Wootton
    Kyla Wootton

Paint! I love color and that piece would look completely different in a bold color!

• Richard Monje
    Richard Monje

Change the hardware KEEP the wood

• Julie Dunkin
    Julie Dunkin

Wood, BUT paint the inside. A bronze or silver would be very pretty. And you both get what you want.

• Anna
    Anna

Guys always want to keep the wood natural. I say paint it glossy white with maybe some texture or pattern at the back of the shelves. You already have white baseboards, etc, so it will coordinate and also pop off that wall.

• Donna Pierce
    Donna Pierce

I would lighten the walls because they seem to dark with such light carpet, or put wood floors in. I would definitely paint the cabinet & table. Might leave top of table wood. That way it wouldn't scratch off. What you have to choose is what you love. Not what we think. Its your nest. I know you will do fine. Show us results. :) Good luck.

• Laurel
    Laurel

Paint the hutch black. The dining room set off white... and dump the deer head and fish on the wall... lol... don't tell hubby I said that.

• Lois C
    Lois C

This is what I did....

q to paint or not to paint if so need a pop of color, home decor, living room ideas, painting, Soft gold and glazed
  • Kathy D
    Kathy D

I painted an old hutch that was destined for Goodwill. It turned out amazing! FYI--You need some color!

• Sandy Eck
    Sandy Eck

well it matches your table and chairs, if you paint it, the table will look out of place. But you definatley need some color in there.

• Bryan N Rebecca Kohl
    Bryan N Rebecca Kohl

Paint...it looks outdated and tired.

• Erin Watson
    Erin Watson

I just did this project! We did antiqued white on the outside, and antiqued red inside. It came out awesome, and he loved it. I would suggest neutral on outside and then an antiqued blue inside to make your white items pop

• Terri Pope
    Terri Pope

YES A POP OF COLOR IS NEEDED

• Patty Reisz
    Patty Reisz

The green on the left and the blue are both great colors to put against the chocolate brown wall, so I say paint it! But be ready to paint the furniture too, because once you get color, you want more! Good luck, have fun and post pictures of the end result!

• Robin Smith
    Robin Smith

Paint it. I agree with Bryan N Rebecca. I think I'd white wash it to make it pop. And then the shelves I'd paint a walnut color.

• Gina Martinez
    Gina Martinez

Paint!

• Melissa Rainey
    Melissa Rainey

Chalk paint it and antique it. No sanding involved if you paint it with chalk paint. Annie Sloan is a great product! Have fun

• Janet koons
    Janet koons

Paint the furniture in some brighter color, OR brighten up the walls if you are keeping the piece natural. Still, I vote for painting the furniture first.

• Debbie Harris
    Debbie Harris

Paint it a deeper darker brown. This will make your walls appear lighter and make the white objects on the hutch stand out. A great color is Valspar Deep Earth. Add your POP of color with accents that can change with your seasons.

• GAnderson
    GAnderson

white with a "pop" of color on the inside... maybe a nice celery green

• ChrisT.48091
    ChrisT.48091

How about doing some kind of decoupage on the back wall of the hutch with some pretty paper that ties your theme, colors & look together. Or just paint the back wall, that way you both get what you like & ties your chair color together with the hutch. Than kick it everything up with colorful accent accessories

• Gini
    Gini

I would remove the top part and get rid of that entirely. Whatever you are displaying in the top part is probably never used, just collecting dust. You should keep the server, but paint it. Behind the drawers and doors I would paint glossy white with an accent color on the back wall, to match whatever color you paint the outside. I would then paint the table and chairs. Too much wood and especially if it's oak, it's outdated and tired.

• Jodix2
    Jodix2

I would maybe paint the piece but leave the back or vise versa love the blues

• Donna Conrad
    Donna Conrad

Your home has some very nice furniture pieces - and yes, most are in the brown's, which can be dull and boring...and the pieces are heavy ones, too! To liven up your dining area, I, personally, would use chalk paint on the hutch. An idea is; you could leave the top part "as-is" exposing the stained dark wood, and for the remainder lighten it with a pastel color, or even use white. Give it a light sanding to expose the old wood stain underneath. Yet, overall, to paint it. And, for the inside of the hutch - the back panel of th shelving, apply wallpaper or fabric! It would add much color that is needed in that room, bringing it up-to-date. Then, leave your dining table top "as-is" and paint the legs and chairs to match the hutch! Add some color and life into your living space - with another rug - an area rug that has colors...or, add some accent pillows with the shade of your hutch and/or the wallpaper/fabric colors from the dining area, now into the living room. Choose a few colors and incorporate them. But, yes, I would give the hutch and many pieces an updated look! Too many browns in furniture can make your inside home look "tired." Color always livens! Go For It! :)

• Rhonda L
    Rhonda L

Wow, you definitely need some color in there. I think you should paint it the blue or the sage green color and add some valances or roman shades to your windows with those colors in them and put some pillows on the couch and chairs. It just needs some color in it to liven it up.

• Lori Parker Dowell
    Lori Parker Dowell

You need an infusion of accent colors, accessories, etc....

• Donna Conrad
    Donna Conrad

...don't forget the little extras that you can DIY - a table runner, and/or place mats, a valance - all from colors chosen that you used in the back panel from the hutch...along with pillows for the chairs in living room. Maybe, solid color pastel or white slipcovers for those sofas...and always remember; bowls of fruit, a houseplant or two...a grouping of candles...things like that enrich a home, adding warmth, and color, and personality - above all!

• Peggy
    Peggy

I think it would look nice if you painted the hutch the grey color with the back insert painted the blue color. Then I also would paint the dining chairs blue and leave the table natural.

• Bonnie M
    Bonnie M

Create a color palette for your home; a good suggestion might be;beige, cream, chocolate, green and a soft red. Red and green are on opposite sides of the color wheel so their a natural complement. You also need the introduction of pattern, utilizing the afore mentioned color palette. The building blocks of interior design are color, texture and pattern. By all means paint the hutch with one of palette colors, sanding it down and doing a wash might further the country look you have established. Treat yourself to two upholstered head chairs which have pattern, it will anchor the Dining Rm and add much needed pattern. Just retired after 25 yrs as an Interior Designer, good luck, BMc

• Jackie I
    Jackie I

I would like to see the table, chairs and hutch painted a soft, creamy sage green. Then bring in some brighter greens and light blues in as accents.

• Helene Talbot
    Helene Talbot

Paint it. Red would be a nice contrast to you lovely home.

• Hannah T
    Hannah T

It's all drab, even the colors you chose. Ivory white might be a nice contrast to brighten it up. Or the whites in your counter.

• Okg345579
    Okg345579

Paint it black but leave the top of the bottom piece and front panels of doors in the wood and paint the inside of the shelves your green to tie it into the kitchen. Do the same with the table.

• Jan
    Jan

Paint the wall not the Hutch, It is easier than painting the hutch and won't harm the value of a nice piece of furniture.

• Aubrey L
    Aubrey L

If you paint this, you would certainly not want it to be the only piece in the room that is painted....it would stand out too much. I would do the chairs, as well, and use a cloth on the table.

• Leanna McLeod Somers
    Leanna McLeod Somers

My daughter in law just finished her dining room set using chalk paint and the wax...she also made it look shabby chic...sanded a few places. Looks great! If you like a punch of color...why not paint the hutch same as the dining table set but with an accent color in the background...like soft teal. The living room can use accent colors like teal or your favorite color....I pick up accessories at the thrift stores often....accent pillows. ..wall hanging..etc. Throws and area rugs spruce things up as well as live plants .....good lighting. Im going for the french country cottage look as live off the lake. I always accent with some black pieces. I do love Benjamin Moore Ashley Grey paint. Hope this gives you some idea's! I love changes. ..as I can't pick up and move! Lol Will you keep us updated to your new changes?! :)

• Angel View Cottage
    Angel View Cottage

I would definitely paint it. I have been an Interior Decorator/Painter for almost 30 years. Have you ever painted furniture before? I'm not a fan of chalk paint at all but will be glad to help by phone, email our private message. You can go to my page and contact me from there. I also sell tons of cottage, vintage and shabby chic style home decor in my Shoppe that you can order right from me on FB if you need anything at all. I would be happy to help. Patty

• Merise Kenyon Hetherington
    Merise Kenyon Hetherington

Paint the backing of the hutch a contrasting dark red. Perhaps painting the table with creamy white milk paint but leave the chairs the way they are!

• Susie Bennett
    Susie Bennett

I would definitely paint it. I would paint it old white by Annie Sloan (as it comes out rather creamy rather than stark white) and then paint the inset shelves another color and brighten it up with a collection (dishes, pottery, something you LOVE) to go on the shelving. I did one like this and used Duck Egg as the inset color and it looks great. I would then tie that collection and accent color into the other adjoining areas. pillows for sofa, window treatments, accent pieces in the kitchen etc. good luck!

• Barbara R
    Barbara R

The hutch matches all the rest of the wood in your home, I see. If you paint it, you will want to start painting your tables, chairs and end tables. I wouldn't touch it at all or paint all of them. Off white would just blend in with your carpeting...brown? they are already brown. I wouldn't do it.

• Dee Cicchetto
    Dee Cicchetto

I would paint it a pretty off white. A pretty chalk paint. Nothing high gloss. I noticed trophys so he must be an outdoorsman. Guy usually like everything in natural color. Use some accent pieces on hutch in red and table placemats or runners. But a red hutch would work with white accents also. Just my opinion. I lean country and love the bright color and white roosters. And it's only paint. Can always be another color.

• Deborah Lecuyer Lavoie
    Deborah Lecuyer Lavoie

paint it..sometimes they put wallpaper on the inside back..

• Wendy G
    Wendy G

Paint!

• Lori J
    Lori J

Paint but compromise with some stained accent--top of the bottom of the hutch?

• Cher D
    Cher D

paint paint paint

• Michele Eures
    Michele Eures

Yes, paint! That tone of wood is from the 90's and very old fashioned. I like what Susie Bennett said with the color choice, but if you do the red you could paint the legs of the table red to match the back of the hutch. Just don't do anymore brown or wood tones. I would change the hardware, too, to get rid of the colonial look of the piece.

• Sue Dement Tyler
    Sue Dement Tyler

Paint!

• Jami Scanlan
    Jami Scanlan

Paint and wallpaper or fabric the back. I really like the blue-ish color. Then paint legs/bottom of table the sale color, redo the top with a richer blown stain. Do we have you busy enough for the next few months?? Have fun and I'd love to see what you end up doing!!

• Barry Smith
    Barry Smith

Definitely paint. Lighter blue color but use a deeper color on the inside wall to make it pop. It could even be brown.

• Carla Haselhorst
    Carla Haselhorst

Try wallpaper inside the hutch in your favorite color or to accent your dishes before painting the whole thing and live with it for a month !

• Telena klavon
    Telena klavon

If it was mine.. I would chalk paint and wax the frame of the hutch the base of the table and the chairs. I would sand and stain the trim on the hutch and the top of the table maybe an antique oak stain because you have a lot of different light woods in the other rooms I think it would blend. and that way you get some paint and he gets some wood.

• Sally De La Rosa
    Sally De La Rosa

Paint it. It would look great painted

• Greedith B
    Greedith B

Paint the inside of the hutch to add a pop of color and maybe the on the doors. Not the entire door just the inset part of them. That would brighten it up a bit without taking away the wood.

• CA Byam
    CA Byam

Both

• Vicki Kurtti
    Vicki Kurtti

Paint

• Ronda Hight Snyder
    Ronda Hight Snyder

Paint! Your husband will like it once it's done. If he's like my husband he isn't good at visualizing. 😉

• Rebecca Terry
    Rebecca Terry

Reds!

• Debi S
    Debi S

Paint would be my preference. Persuade the hubby by doing inside first.

• Knscomstock
    Knscomstock

No paint!!!

• Renee Meyer
    Renee Meyer

I have almost the exact same hutch. I am going to paint mine a dark slate blue except the top of the buffet part and it will be refinished in a little darker stain. Can't wait to see what you end up doing with yours.

• Charlene
    Charlene

I say, start with painting the inside & shelves a bright color like teal or rosie pink then decide on the outside. I would probably go with painting the outside white and the inside bright & colorful. I'm sure whatever you go with will be fabulous! And if you don't like it, you can always paint over it. :-)

• LaVonne
    LaVonne

I say leave it. Painted, it will stick out like a sore thumb among your other wood pieces. If you really want to paint it, then maybe you need to paint a few other pieces to go along with it.

• Rosanne Cleveland-King
    Rosanne Cleveland-King

It totally needs to be painted!

• Diana Lafavor
    Diana Lafavor

I would make it a focal piece and either paint it a deep red or or a distressed black

• Connie Wiesniak
    Connie Wiesniak

Paint it. I would go with white with a dark wax over it to show the detail. I have one in the cellar that I want to do that way.

• Penny G
    Penny G

Think turquoise!

• Phyllis
    Phyllis

I did notice the photo with the mountings on the wall, which I like, but the table with the light is too small. Get a larger table, could be an end table or small coffee table and put the light right by the sofa to hide the cord, then the table could be used for setting a glass, paper or add another item, from the chair or the sofa.

• Jessica G
    Jessica G

Paint it.

• Lisa Winstead
    Lisa Winstead

Paint the wall, not the hutch!

• Susan Haynes
    Susan Haynes

Paint it for sure you only live once ;)

• Robin Schuler
    Robin Schuler

i wouldn't paint it

• Vicki Pemberton
    Vicki Pemberton

paint it, i would use a deep blue or a brick red

• Terri S
    Terri S

I think red would look nice.

• Wabbitears
    Wabbitears

I think a good idea might be to (sand first) change the inside back with a black stain, or dark grey and then add accessories of clear glasses and anything white to dress it. Don't paint the hutch, but paint the dining room a very light warm grey wall to set it all off. The grey will make a perfect backdrop and offset the honey gold in the furniture.

• Sharon
    Sharon

I think painting over beautiful wood ruins it, but you could compromise by painting just the inside back panel for your pop of color.

• Vicky Franks
    Vicky Franks

A suggestion: Leave the main part of the piece but paint the inside back in a pretty accent color which would show off a collection of whatever you have to put on the shelves.

• Amy Woods
      Amy Woods

@Vicky Franks I agree. Painting the inside would be a great compromise and would still give the accent color the space needs. Personally, I would update the drawer pulls, but that is a matter of each individual's taste. It is a great piece of furniture!

• Yvette
    Yvette

I would paint part of it antique white (ie. doors), leave the crown & top surface unpainted and them tie the colors in your house with a light green paint or a printed fabric that incorporates more of your colors. (ie. fabric with hydrangeas/leaves. This will bring green and blue into your room.)

• Brenda Scott-Montero
      Brenda Scott-Montero

@Yvette I was wondering how you would attach the fabric to the back? I just got this hutch and really haven't looked at the back? Would you totally remove it and cover or keep it attached and just do it in pieces while attached?

• Tina
    Tina

Oh my goodness... YES!!! Paint!!! check out @Simply Vintage from Canada and look at her amazing transformation. Stunning!!

• Kara Spurlock
    Kara Spurlock

I agree, paint it!! It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! Just paint it what you want then tell your husband... Oops!

• Teri
    Teri

or put on some peel and stick wallpaper to the back and then its not permanent and hubby is happy

• Karren Brunell
    Karren Brunell

dont paint it, add color elsewhere by adding colored dishes, throw pillows or paint the walls!

• Wjb327367
    Wjb327367

Paint it ...Use Annie Sloans Chalk Paint...Put the doors back on and replace the glass with gold chicken wire....This piece can look amazing....I am going to try to send you a picture of a piece my wife and I designed ...WJB

• Wjb327367
    Wjb327367

Here is the pic...Our design your decision. pale yellow, blue green , gold chicken wire....possibilities endless.WJB

• Peggy B
      Peggy B

@Wjbu beautiful restoration...I think she should paint it and the table n chairs to...that would add color to the room, great job on your piece..

• Deb347499
    Deb347499

Painting it would certainly brighten the decor. Why do men always want the wood to show? Just don't understand that. I'm a big fan of chalk painting. No need to sand or prime and the results are awesome. The table top could remain 'pure' wood while painting everything else. The inside of the hutch would really look great with a pop of accent color. Please post your results. :)

• Colleen
    Colleen

I'm in the same situation. Hubby say's no and I say why not! So start out with covering some cardstock with what ever print,color design you want and use it as the background wall of the shelves. See how that looks, then slowly work your way to painting (once Hubby has gotten use to the idea. Be forewarned it may take months for Hubby to come around. Best of luck.

• Cherie
    Cherie

Absolutely, @Kara Spurlock! We had a faux beam across our center ceiling that was dark brown and called attention to itself so one day I was painting the wall the lost control of the roller! Whoops! Paint on the beam! So I had to paint it white to match the ceiling and cover the paint "accidentally" put on the beam. He knew but liked it better, also!

• Joan Hurst
    Joan Hurst

I would paint the backboard or put in fabric inserts. I had the same dilemma with two of my hutches. One I painted the back Autumn Gold and the other I insert fabric panels when I want a change. I love the pop it gives the room.

• Starr Durrant
    Starr Durrant

wow what a difference from wood to white - love it!

• Donna Byram
    Donna Byram

Great job,turned out beautiful!!

• Deb347499
    Deb347499

LOVE IT! Nice job! So fresh looking.

• Marjo
    Marjo

I like wood too but if you start getting too much of it then it becomes monotonous and boring. I love the white with the wood top. I would probably put some color on the back walls too but that's just me. It would have to be something that would allow the beauty of the objects placed there to still shine through. In your other neutral rooms why don't you spice them up with some colorful artwork, curtains, throws, and pillows? I love them just the way they are, they just need a bit of pop. After 40 years of marriage my dh has finally stopped questioning my decorating skills, he realizes that when it is done it is going to look nice and now tells me to do whatever I want. So nice to hear.

• Brenda Scott-Montero
    Brenda Scott-Montero

Here are some updates with the completed hutch and tables. Plus decor for Christmas.

• See More
  • Deb347499
    Deb347499

GREAT JOB!!! Love the transformation. Brightens up the room.

• Jane
    Jane

How remarkable. Your abode looks so comfortable. Some one has some skills.

• Eroque022810
    Eroque022810

It looks like you painted it in white so are you done? If you want more color I would lean towards a warm color since you have rich bro on the walls. I think of brown as a neutral after all its the color of dirt. I would go for the green but only to highlight some of it, I would paint the out side and top of bottom portion and leave rest white. That way gren is next to walls but I really like the white. All or wood is natural and I'm tired of it but my husband like yours wants it to stay that way. We have a cherry room a pine room a teak room a hickory kitchen. LOL I think he just doesn't like change. Some I would never touch because I love them as well but I would paint the pine. Good luck.
  • Aubrey L
    Aubrey L

I would paint that dark wall in a soft gray first and then do the cabinet in a white and darker gray.

• Melinda
    Melinda

I'm in the same rut as you! The only thing bad about painting it gray is all the stuff you have now are the brown tones and once you start going from "browns to grays" you won't be able to leave it like that. You'll have to decide "how many more shades of gray" you'll need to replace furniture, walls, counters, cabinets, flooring etc. That's what I've been seeing as the trend when using the "grays." It seems to me the minute you start with one object then you have to basically need to go gray all the way. Really!
    So, what I think I'm going to do with my "orangey, oak table, chairs and hutch" is paint them a non-distressed beach or driftwood color. I watched my sister do the "paint the furniture and book shelves white updates." While I didn't notice it when at her home, it was when she sent pictures, I was like OH! It looks so STARK white against her "brown walls."
    You'd think just the word "driftwood" means distressed, old or a non-chrisp color, but it's really not! These other people are telling you to paint the hutch a two tone color for the inside shelves or bottom one color the top another. I'm thinking RIGHT! Seeing that driftwood is both gray and brown tones together you could use one or the other of those 2 choices and then do the accent color in the shades you do like. Your whole place looks so nice and inviting and you did a great job painting the dining room so wait a few months before you decide to change it. I love the magazine HGTV because it shows you what colors look really good with another. One time or two they even wallpapered the backs of the shelves and behind the glass doors too! So, If you want to change it up a bit to test the waters go get some of those peel off wallpapers in some of the new geometric designs and add the two colors of the wall and hutch paint together with a third or fourth color of your dreams. Live with it for as long as you want and the change it up again. Best of Luck!
  • Michelle Webster
    Michelle Webster

I agree with leaving it white but put either an interesting color or even a wrapping paper on the inside...
  • Leslie Hume
    Leslie Hume

Put a nice colored print wallpaper or fabric inside to offset the white, but keep it white
    matching cushion on the chair
  • Deannette
    Deannette

Maybe you could try a multi-color of 3 in retro colors of red yellow green or something close to those colors

• Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

I would paint all pieces a "warm" yet noticeable color like rust, amber, or paprika. They are all neutrals, so you can accessorize easily.

• Carol S.
    Carol S.

Use some greenery and a pot of bright yellow flowers. Some lovely colored books would look well on the shelves. I would like to see a piece of sculpture or a high colored plate or portrait painting or photo above the white chair.

• Dawn
    Dawn

I think the white is nice to lighten up such a dark room

• Tipper
    Tipper

Compromise.

• Your comment...