Vertical Sunshine Garden

26K Views
I should have taken pictures of the before process but here is my take on a vertical flower planter using a pallet some empty plastic soda bottles and 2 6'x2's
Time: 3 HoursCost: $20Difficulty: Easy
  • vertical sunshine garden
I just attached the 2x6's to the back of the pallet. I buried the bottom of the posts about 1 foot in the ground and then put a couple of nails in the top and the fence to stabilize.
  • vertical sunshine garden
I just free hand drew the daisy then stained and painted. Clearly nothing fancy. The turquoise is stain and the white, yellow, orange and black are paint. After it dried I covered it all in 2 coats of poly
  • vertical sunshine garden
I wanted something cheap to plant in so I decided to try soda bottles.
  • vertical sunshine garden
some vertical
  • vertical sunshine garden
some horizontal. I just used my utility knife to cut out a section and poke a hole for drainage
  • vertical sunshine garden
I attached the bottles with my trusty staple gun
  • vertical sunshine garden
I sprayed a little turquois paint in the bottoms of the bottles just for color
I cut the tops off of the soda bottles but and then put the plastic back in the hole just to keep the dirt from washing out. You could leave the tops on if you wanted. I just didn't like the red tops.
  • vertical sunshine garden
Then I started planting. I went with pink and orange petunias
  • vertical sunshine garden
  • vertical sunshine garden
More flowers
  • vertical sunshine garden
And here it is all planted. I think it's pretty and when summer is over I just recycle those soda bottles. The only real cost is the cost of the plants. We were drinking those drinks anyway so this is just another way to recycle the bottles. You could use the bottles directly on your fence if you didn't want to mess with the pallet.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of June 18, 2018 11:44 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.