How do I replace an entrance way door jam that has broken?

  5 answers
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 12, 2018
    Prise it off and just replace as is and re-decorate to suit.
  • Betsy Betsy on Jun 12, 2018
    If it's just the outer wood, you can buy a replacement at the home improvement store. Measure to see how long it has to be. They are generally the same size. Put a flat piece of wood next to where the nail is on the old jamb, to protect the wall, put something under the jamb to pry it off. Discard the old jamb and put on the new one. You may have to mitre the new one at the top, but use the old one as a pattern so you know exactly what the angle is. Use finishing nails. If you have any questions, check with the guys at the mill works desk, they know a lot!
  • Betsy Betsy on Jun 12, 2018
    If it's the entire jamb, like if someone kicked the door in, the fix is the same as above, just get the wood that's needed for the project. The mill works guys can tell you what you need. Just be sure to keep the old pieces so you know where to put the openings for the lock. You may need to get new hardware for the lock as it may have gotten bent.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on May 10, 2021

    Hello Denise,

    Lever it off and replace or just cut off and lever off the area that is broken and replace the section. Glue and nail in place.