Asked on Jul 1, 2018

How can I fix the wallpaper in my rental?

BetsyTheresaHolly Lengner - Lost Mom


We have a rental property that has pretty dramatic wall paper in entry there are some small areas damaged... can’t find some to match ... please any ideas on repair or modification as not to replace
9 answers
  • M.H.
    on Jul 2, 2018

    Not sure if this will help... worth a shot skimming through though. Hope this helps in some way for you.
  • Pat
    on Jul 2, 2018

    Thanks I will check it out

  • Flipturn
    on Jul 2, 2018

    Would you rather continue to have this wallpaper kept on, or not have it at all?
    • Pat
      on Jul 2, 2018

      Would rather keep wallpaper as it is a big area and those are only problem areas.. we own But use propertybas a rental. Wanted a few ideas on a fix rather than remove whole wall
  • Joanne lueke
    Joanne lueke
    on Jul 2, 2018

    Do you own the property or are you renting it from someone? To do anything as a renter you would have to have the owner's permission before doing anything. That being said, as a low cost option you could cut away any torn pieces and loose paper on the seams. Then do a skim coat of drywall compound over it and let it fully dry. Sand until smooth and put a primer over it. Once that is fully dry you can paint over it. We did this (with the owners permission) in a rental duplex my mother-in-law lived in and it looked great and lasted for years. That wallpaper is from the 70's or early 80's so just about anything would look better. Best of luck.
  • Flipturn
    on Jul 3, 2018

    O.K., I would suggest then to purchase 1 roll of wallpaper with a large motif. Apply/glue the motifs over the damaged areas and sporadically over whole wall, so they look integrated, not isolated.
    Look for a design that contains some of the same green color as you have now. Choose one with a motif that has a definite closed border, as opposed to an open border design, as the pieces will be easier to cut out.
    , The large circular motif has a closed border It is easier to cut out than an open border design
  • Johnavallance82
    on Feb 5, 2021


    Try Artist Paints and a Sponge Application. Artist Brushes are also good.

    You could also add pictures or Mirror to cover damaged areas.

  • Theresa
    on Feb 21, 2021

    If the damage is not too high on the wall, you could cover it with wainscoting panels with nice trim and paint.

  • Betsy
    on Mar 2, 2021

    Hi Pat: Boy, that looks like a disaster :( I hate to say it, but you may have to re-paper, at least that area. You can get a matching, or contrasting paper and put it in the area that's a mess, but I think you will be spinning your wheels by trying to fix it. You can paper over this paper, but I'd pull away the loose paper, sand the bad edges and feather them into the good area and use a skim of Spackle over the edges of the bad parts so there aren't any bumps, prime those areas and then re-paper the whole thing. Wish I had better news :(

Your comment...