Janet
Janet

Rose Bush dead except at bottom, can I cut back now

GrandmasHouseDIYKrafty KathyKeith Lonborg
+2

• Oliva

You may stress it, given the heat, but unless you're in super hot area, it should survive (although they're best pruned in late winter). Sterilize your cutting tool between each cut, in case you contact new growth. Fertilize, water, mulch to within 1.5 " of base. Remove all dropped rose petals from ground beneath to avoid spreading disease. Place fine netting lightly over top to protect rose from insects. Dig a minced fresh banana peel into ground around rose for added phosphorus.
  • Sdt8172450

Just cut it back to the the new growth it should be fine.
  • Keith Lonborg

I agree with Oliva. But, there is a really good chance that what is left and growing is probably a rose that was used for root stock that your was grafted on to. So what is growing will probably be a completely different rose. I would probably dig up the plant and dispose of it.
  • Krafty Kathy

Could be interesting to see if it is different root stock. Trim and fertilize it. I use a hand full of Epsom salt watered in around the roots or a Rose food.
  • GrandmasHouseDIY

If you are certain the stems you are cutting are dead than cutting them off won't hurt it at all.