How Would YOU Use These? I Would Love to Hear Your Ideas!

+122
These are pool filters that I bought for $5. I have an idea of what I want to do but I'm not certain and I thought it would fun to get suggestions from all of you! I think they are fun and I really want to upcycle them in the best way :)
how would you use these i would love to hear your ideas, diy, repurposing upcycling
They are very heavy duty, thick poly tanks used as sand filters for a pool. That's all I know about them.
I have actually painted a food-grade drum like this before, when I made a rain barrel out of one so I know I can paint them.
  • Therese C Therese C on Jun 05, 2014
    If light will cause any kind of an inner glow effect, these would look fantastic flipped over a large garden or lawn ground light. Or depending on size..they look to be fairly large, you could epoxy glass table tops to them for garden sphere tables. (drill a bunch of pin sized holes in them and string lights inside).
    • Leslie Long Leslie Long on Jun 06, 2014
      @Therese C Great suggestion! Drilling the holes might work because it won't glow. It is thick polyvinyl and no light will come through without the holes. Thank you :)
  • Cindi Cindi on Jun 05, 2014
    @Leslie Long maybe do a marble effect with paint and add bases to them for outdoor garden globes.
      @Cindi Good idea. I had thought of this too, as a painted garden globe but had not thought of marbleizing it! Thanks for the great suggestion :)
  • Its Just Me Its Just Me on Jun 05, 2014
    Perhaps a Kids table with a type of clear plastic top so they can look into it, fun toys, objects and a $1.00 store glow stick so they can see stuff inside. Also change the objects inside it. Color the outside fun colors too.
      @Its Just Me A great idea I had not thought of. I don't have little kids but it's def worth it if I transform and sell it! Thank you :)
  • Betsy Bodrero Betsy Bodrero on Jun 05, 2014
    Home Depot has florescent paint in several colors ( glow in the dark ) & they would be awesome backyard florescent orbs ! They are to big to blow away
      @Betsy Bodrero You are right....they are too big to blow away! Glow in the dark paint might light up the whole yard! Good suggestion...thanks :)
  • Lori J Lori J on Jun 05, 2014
    Not sure what the material is, I personally would spray the inside with cooking spray and fill with concrete hypertufa. I made garden globes with round glass light covers this way and have been aching to make a really big one. I used plain old cement for the little ones.
      @Lori J I had thought of using this as a mold also and hypertufa would be the way to go if I did because of the size. These are made of poly vinyl and are about 1/2 inch thick. I might use one as a mold and keep the other one intact...not sure yet! Thanks for the great idea :)
  • Peteysmom Peteysmom on Jun 05, 2014
    You could make a little top for them with a loop and paint them as giant Christmas ball ornaments for the front yard. Maybe not too practical if you don't have a lot of storage for the rest of the year, but fun and different.
      @Peteysmom LOL.....yes most def fun and different! I would need a great big branch to hang them on but I love the thought of giant ornaments! Thanks :)
  • KELLEY THOMPSON KELLEY THOMPSON on Jun 05, 2014
    You could paint place a round clear glass or Plexiglas and use them as an outdoor patio table
      @KELLEY THOMPSON Great minds think alike! This was one of my ideas too. Cut them in half and fill them with something interesting and put plexi on top! Thanks :)
  • Carole Carole on Jun 05, 2014
    If the base is round you could partially fill them with sand or something to weight them down, and add something to the top part that can be used as a punch bag or similar so that if they get knocked down - they should spring up again?? Would that work? Could make a fun game or exercise item.
      @Carole Not sure if that would work but it's very creative and sounds like fun! Thanks :)
  • Lorah Marquardt Lorah Marquardt on Jun 05, 2014
    Compost tumblers?
      @Lorah Marquardt Great idea! I had not thought of this! Would have to build a rotating base but yes, I think that would work! Something to think about....thank you :)
  • Vetsy Vetsy on Jun 05, 2014
    If it could be possible I would paint it and make a globe water fountain?
      @Vetsy I had not thought of a fountain but I'm sure it would work and it has a few connection openings already! Will have to consider it! Thanks :)
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jun 06, 2014
    If you are an artist, paint them...put faces on them, one like the sun and one like the moon, and put them in your garden! Set them on big rock!
    • See 1 previous
    • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jun 06, 2014
      @Leslie Long See if you can drill a hole just below that grey ring at 3 different locations...then loop a nut onto some sort of wire, thread it through a washer (to keep it from going through the hole) and you have a hanger!
  • White Oak Studio Designs White Oak Studio Designs on Jun 06, 2014
    I'd cast my handmade paper over them for fine art sculpture.
      @White Oak Studio Designs I had thought of paper mache myself.....thinking it would make a great mold for something! You should try to find some in your area and mold your paper! Thanks :)
  • Maribeth Bastian Maribeth Bastian on Jun 06, 2014
    I would suggest giving them a mercury glass paint effect and using them as garden orbs.
      @Maribeth Bastian I agree and that was one of my thoughts....an orb! Thanks for your suggestion, it's a great one! :)
  • Tammy Horner Tammy Horner on Jun 06, 2014
    I've seen on Pinterest large globes painted with glow in dark paint. They looked awesome
      @Tammy Horner Another great suggestion! I agree....glow in the dark paint would be great! Thanks :)
  • Mabeline Mabeline on Jun 06, 2014
    Paint them to look like red and white fishing bobbers, add them to landscape decoration and use them to catch rain water
      @Mabeline Wow! I had not thought of using them as rain barrels. I have a few poly ones already but they are so big. I could incorporate these into the landscape a little easier with a pretty paint job and just put a screen top on them! Thank you :)
  • Elizabeth Elizabeth on Jun 06, 2014
    Could you make a rain barrel out of them? Or just put them in a child's playground, open side down and see what they would do with them. try to climb on them. my guess is that they are 2 or 3 foot high.
      @Elizabeth Yes ma'am. They are about 4 ft. diameter so pretty big. Kids would love them! Thanks for the good idea :)
  • Ang Ang on Jun 06, 2014
    id gluehalf round marbles all over them for giant gazing balls . or can mozaic glass and grout them . very cool !
    • See 2 previous
    • Leslie Long Leslie Long on Jun 10, 2014
      @Angela Hartzell Maybe a water garden with lilies! I like it! Thanks :)
  • Cheryl Martin Cheryl Martin on Jun 06, 2014
    They could double as large gazing balls & Christmas ornaments adding garland and a bow for outside. Covering them with paper, or painting them set on carved columns or wood would a interesting way.
      @Cheryl Martin Yes, on a wood pedestal is a good idea I had not considered! Thank you :)
      @Therese Ryan-Haas Wow! I wish I could use them that way but they are very opaque and will not glow....unless I paint them with glow in the dark paint! Thanks...great idea :)
  • Tuzwoo Tuzwoo on Jun 06, 2014
    my first thought when I saw them was, hanging lanterns! you could punch out a design on them, or drill one if they are thick. then hang them up around the pool or in the yard with a light inside them. it would be a great party decoration, or back yard BBQ area item!
      @Tuzwoo I had the same thought....to cut out a design and then illuminate it somehow! Great idea thanks! :)
  • Tuzwoo Tuzwoo on Jun 06, 2014
    you could also paint them as a jack a lantern and hang outside at Halloween, adding the holes for lights or glow sticks.............or as an alien head for a costume...........you can have so much fun with this!
  • Tuzwoo Tuzwoo on Jun 06, 2014
    why not make a planter out of it for a patio garden?
  • Therese Ryan-Haas Therese Ryan-Haas on Jun 06, 2014
    Rust-Oleum Glow In The Dark Paint 1/2 Pint $7.60. http://www.thepaintstore.com/Rust_Oleum_Glow_In_The_Dark_Paint_p/13497.htm?1=1&CartID=0 ;
    Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I'm still mulling it over but I know what I'm going to do with one of them: I'm going to drill holes all over one (like a colander) and glue in colored marbles with E-6000 and add a light source at the top and stick lg christmas lights thru the holes - then hang it in the patio area like a giant orb! I'm still not sure what to do with number two, now that I have so many great ideas! Keep them coming and I will post pics when I get it done :)
  • Kolleen Kolleen on Jun 06, 2014
    They look pretty big. Water barrels. Save rain.
  • Christopher Sigle Christopher Sigle on Jun 06, 2014
    A filter or resivour is still a pritty good use for them since that is their intended purpose. You could paint or dress them up with mosaics or whatever and try to re-purpose them into a drinking water filter, a hydroponic chamber, or pond planter thingie. Either way, I think reuse should be water related. Ooooo, how-about a fountain by 1/2ing them and stacking, maybe use some PVC as support and to move the water between them?
      @Christopher Sigle A fountain is a good idea too....since one is slightly smaller than the other it might work! Thanks for the great idea! :)
  • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Jun 06, 2014
    I'd use them outside or in with some bamboo sticks or artificials. Would look good as a lawn or patio ornaments
  • Diane Woods Diane Woods on Jun 06, 2014
    They have 'stone' spray paint that stands up pretty well. I've covered vases and statues that stayed outside a few years. You could drill holes in the bottom for water to pass downward, and spray with stone spray paint. Use just one, or stack the small one on top of the bigger. Put the bottom one in some type of basin (or pond liner - they are black and relatively cheap) and fill with stones, put the smaller on top and do the same. Then get a pond filter and position it spraying or just laying inside for a bubbling effect inside the top one. Fill with water, plug in, and you have a really cool water feature!
    • Leslie Long Leslie Long on Jun 07, 2014
      @Diane Woods Someone else also suggested a fountain and I think it's a good idea. It is definitely a consideration at this point! Thanks for the input :)