Textured ceiling paper - dated?

+4

Hi, redecorating our living room this week. Going for a more modern grey look with hints of light blue. Our ceiling has textured paper on from previous owners. It's not massively offensive just dated I guess and not quite the modern look we are going for BUT It's well done, no cracks or anything and now I'm wondering if it's worth the effort of stripping?! Would you leave it....or take it down?! I'm guessing the ceiling is fairly good underneath but my biggest fear is unearthing lots of cracks! Advice needed! Wwyd? Leave or strip?

q textured ceiling paper dated
q textured ceiling paper dated
q textured ceiling paper dated
q textured ceiling paper dated
  • Archie Archie on Aug 16, 2018

Removing wallpaper is a terror. Leave it if it looks OK. I just did an entire house and all I can say is NEVERMORE.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Aug 16, 2018

Hello La la,

Everything goes around in fashion, What's trendy to-day could be out of fashion tomorrow. My best advice is to leave it if you don't dislike it and it is in good condition, just don't draw attention to it. Change your light fitting to one that is lower - maybe a coloured shade. or paint the ceiling a shade of grey you like! Make the focus of your room something else like a striking wall or Picture etc. Good luck and best wishes............

• LaLa Lightfoot LaLa Lightfoot on Aug 16, 2018

Thank you both 😊 it would save a lot of time and effort for sure to leave it! We definitely need a new light fitting - good advice!

• Joanne lueke Joanne lueke on Aug 16, 2018

I agree. And I love your crown molding!

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Aug 16, 2018

Hi Lala! I would also update the fixture and leave the paper alone. Treat it as a feature!

• Merle Griffin Merle Griffin on Aug 16, 2018

Go to paint store and ask if you can paint over that type of paper.

• Sherri Sherri on Aug 19, 2018

If you decide to keep it, you could cover it using this method. I don't like it painted, but I do like the look without the paint. Just a thought. Good luck. https://www.hometalk.com/31675764/textured-ceiling-makeover?