Teresa Seeger-Gesser
Teresa Seeger-Gesser
  • Crawfordville, FL

Iconic Cities Chest

$60
2 Weeks

Found this 3 drawer chest for a bargain price - loved the curves.
iconic cities chest
This piece - although blond wood - was in very good condition, an easy piece for resale.
iconic cities chest
I cleaned it with alcohol, and did a light sanding. I removed the drawers ( and old contact paper lining the drawers ) - it left a very sticky drawer bottom!
iconic cities chest
I decided on iconic cities as the theme. I searched, edited, and printed nearly 100 photographs for the new drawer lining. I put down a coat of mod podge:
iconic cities chest
I arranged the printed pics, let dry, and applied a second coat of mod podge. Clever way to get around the old sticky residue and update at the same time.
iconic cities chest
I chose “Toasted Poppyseed” as the color for the piece. Kilz Chalk Paint.
iconic cities chest
Two coats of paint later and drawers completed.
iconic cities chest
I then stenciled the names of my choice of iconic Cities. Pics of each city coordinate with the name on the drawer. Paint color on stenciling is “Curry.”
iconic cities chest
Here it shows drawers open revealing the pics.
iconic cities chest
I really love how this piece turned out - it will be for sale at Anita’s downtown DeLand Florida.

• Steve

How did you get the toasted poppy seed to lay down so flat?

• Ida9464

I read your question as a joke, Steve. You were kidding, right?

• Steve

How did you get the toasted poppy seed to lay down so flat. I have been mixing with water and it's gotten a little better but nowhere near as nice as this.

• Susie

Your work is great ! Very creative - do you like the Kilz brand of chalk paint the best??? This project is down my alley - the final piece could be used in so many ways! Luv it!

• Teresa Seeger-Gesser

Some people like certain brands - I have used them all and there really is not much of a difference in my opinion. Try making your own - that is great too 😀

• Joanie

Nice dresser.......good wood.....I noticed the tongue and groove drawers. I hope it sold good......as in a good price.

• Sarge
    6 minutes ago

I am not a "painted wood" kind of woman BUT this turned out great. I love the choice of color with the black and white printed interior. I am biased however, and think the New York drawer should have been first!  JK.