Missy Burch
Missy Burch
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Texas City, TX

Particle Board Table Makeover

$5

I'm sure many of you have seen people using strainers to do paint projects online lately. It's the new big thing. I thought I'd give it a try & boy is it fun & easy. It gives a fun look & it comes out so pretty. You can use tons of paint colors, complementary or mix of a ton of crazy stuff & just go for it. Since this table is particle board & would suck up paint, I knew I'd need to use plenty to cover it. You also need to use Liquitex Flow Aid, so it will run well over your surface. After I was done, I coated it with resin.
particle board table makeover
Here is the bare table, I found at Goodwill for $3.99!
particle board table makeover
I placed it on a tarp since this is going to get messy.
particle board table makeover
I used plain acrylic paint, in black for the legs.
particle board table makeover
The legs are all done & drying.
particle board table makeover
Back onto the tarp for phase 2.
particle board table makeover
Here is my mountain of paint ready to pour into my strainer. I found 2 great strainers at Goodwill as well- one was a traditional strainer. The other is actually a juicer- which works great for smaller projects & the catch cup- you see here, is the perfect pour cup!
particle board table makeover
Liquitex Flow Aid- the essential element to making this project work well.
particle board table makeover
Place your strainer & pour that glorious mountain of paint, let it flow out the holes.
particle board table makeover
Then you will need to rock your table back & forth to get the paint to the edges how you want it. You can use a hot air gun or blow dryer to move the paint how you want, a spreader or just let it do it's thing all you want. This part is totally up to the artist in you.
particle board table makeover
Here is my finished project after I've let it dry for 24 hours & put a coat of clear resin on it & let that cure for 24 hours. I think it came out amazing.

• Lene Layna Shep

What do you think about turning the Steiner slowly as the paint is coming out ? I think it would be very nice and have a swirled look to it wow that would be nice.

• Mfe29874099

How much of the liquiter to how much paint

• Missy Burch

It really varies by the type of paint. You will need to determine that yourself. You want it to flow well through the strainer, so add as much or as little as you need.

• Barbara Marks Bray

I have seen a few of these projects. Ome of tjem said to pour resin on first. Then add resin to the paint. How do you think. That would work?

• Missy Burch

No, the resin is to seal the paint once you've done your pour. If you don't seal it, it can easily be ruined.