Asked on Aug 31, 2018

How can I update these candle holders?

FlipturnDeborahTro21088958
+5

I'm currently refacing our fireplace with dry stacked stone. Trying to bring a Craftsman/Mission feel into the open concept living, dining, kitchen space. With that in mind, I've had these for 6 or 7 years. I'd like to give them a refresh. I'm ooking for sugestions on what to do.

q give these a new life
  • Teacup8885

Gently sand them all over, rinse, let dry then spray with rustolium spray paint!!?

• Sharon

I would cut off all the curly cue details, then paint them with an oiled bronze and have some copper details on the little knobs of the shaft..... Rustoleum has both paints for metal. Then they will be more in keeping with Mission style.

• Marcia Mason

I have to agree. Mission design is all about white oak, mainly, and copper. Black Iron is not in the design. And definitely not curly-Q's. However, The idea of making them into jardinieres instead of candlesticks would be best, if you can find small copper pots to put on top made of hand hammered copper, maybe squash design or Roycroft roses. Keep it minimalist, with only flower per pot. If you can find some REAL stained glass in a Wright or Tiffany style, you could fix them to the fronts lengthwise for a different look, as well.

• Chas

There are so many varieties of spray paint out there that you can change the look to make them look like stone, metallic, give them a color etc. You could also use them as cup holders around couches or chairs if you want to change things up a little, or use them as small plant stands.

• 1ha31494989

The possibilities are endless:

Halloween and Fall-put pumpkins on top

Christmas-top w/pinecone topiary

Weddings-paint white, hang crystals, and top w/candles or flowers

etc, etc, etc

• Tro21088958

I would use as a base for Christmas arrangement, and hand mini-ornaments from the top curly metal pieces. In my beach house I'd hang seashells from them.

• Deborah

Have to disagree with the comments about black iron. Black iron strapping is seen in craftsman style homes with exposed beams and sometimes on cabinet hardware as well, although copper and oil rubbed bronze was also popular. The filigree work would not be seen though.

• Flipturn

I would replace the stubby candles with new taller fat ones in a coppery/bronze/colour or in a colour that ties in with your fireplace wood or tiles. I think that the tall holders need more height in the candles to look balanced. This would be a quicker and neater solution to 'reviving' the look compared with sanding or painting.

The candleholders do have lots of design already but there is a somewhat detached look to 3 separate sticks. I would see if it was possible to try to bend some of the filigrees around the bases, so that the three could be joined together, forming one larger candelabra. One larger decor object often has more drama and presence than three separate pieces.