How to make my cupboards look better?


We rent a 1960 Bungalow that has been through a lot. The cupboards have some kinda stuff on them and it is peeling off on the corners. Like a laminate. Could I pull it all off and paint the cupboards? With the approval of the owner of course.

q how to make my cupboards look better
  7 answers
  • Linda Thomas Linda Thomas on Sep 20, 2018

    I use Super Glue to reattach my peeled cupboards. Works great.

    • Sheryl Sheryl on Oct 16, 2018

      When I staged my parents condo , I used water proof glue and clamps to reattach peeling laminate in bathroom. Wood filler and sanded and painted all surfaces inside and out a uniform color

  • Terra Terra on Sep 20, 2018

    I would speak to your landlord.

    That piece is called edge banding. You could repair (glue it back down)or applying new edge banding.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Sep 20, 2018

    Hi! I don't think it would be worthwhile since I see particle board. I would ask the landlord to reglue the loose parts, or offer to do it.

  • Lottie Crafts Lottie Crafts on Sep 21, 2018

    You can actually iron it back down. You can use iron on hemming tape. Cut the tape to the size you need place between laminate and wood, cover the spot with a preferably heavy cotton, a piece of denim works great. Use iron on hottest setting press hard against the spot, check spot every 2-3 minutesuntil it holds. Any extra hemming tape will adhere to fabric, that away no glue squishing out.

  • Nan W. Nan W. on Sep 21, 2018

    Glue down with Super Glue Gel (I like Gorilla) Then tape with painter's tape to hold in place. (don't get glue on tape!)

    Then you CAN paint them!

  • Barbara Mia Barbara Mia on Sep 22, 2018

    pluck it out and than use the auto spray - golden or the same colour. it won't twitch your clothes - it will be smooth and look nice and tidy.

  • Homeroad Homeroad on Oct 12, 2018

    I don't think you could peel it all off, there will be a lot of sanding to do, it is probably stuck on with a strong adhesive and the wood may be manufactured wood. I think I would use heavy duty glue and glue that piece down, then clamp it until it dries. If you are allowed you could then use a chalky paint like Fusion Mineral Paint to paint the cabinets. There is no sealer needed in most cases but you could seal it if you'd like.

Your comment...