How do I prune a Citronella plant ?

IliMarilee HJoy30150932
+4

i currently have it propped up on sticks to keep it from bending down. I am going to need a step by step video.

Thank You for this forum.

q how do i prune a citronella plant
  • Kelli L. Milligan

I can't make you a video, I just cut mine back so it doesn't need sticks to prop it up. It filled back in beautifully

• Here is a site with decent instructions. I looked for a video and found a bunch, but none covered pruning.

https://www.hunker.com/12452518/how-to-prune-a-citronella-plant

Hop onto you tube when you have some time and see if you find a good video.

• Carmen

Cut it back hard to 6 inches from the soil. Then strike cuttings from what you have cut off. You’ll get about 20 more plants to keep or give way.

• Kelleysdiy

Pinch back each stem right after buying a mosquito plant or when stems reach about 4 to 6 inches long. Pinch with your fingers just above a leaf to remove green stems, or use a pair of scissors. Leave a minimum of three sets of leaves on each stem, and from where you pinch, expect two or three new stems to form.

Monitor the mosquito plant as it produces more green growth. When the new stems reach about 4 to 6 inches long, pinch the new growth back to just above third leaf set.

Prune back long, leggy mosquito plant stems any time of the year. Cut or pinch the stems back, leaving at least three sets of leaves.

• Joy30150932

Kellysdiy has the correct instructions. If you do as she says you will get a beautiful bushy plant rather than the tall spindly one you have now. When thicker you will see small purple flowers.

• Marilee H

This is basically a geranium variety, so treat it just like you would a geranium.

• Ili

Great information, hope your plant, that I like the way it is, but if you rather have it bushier, please follow instructions...I know, it is hard to start cutting off perfectly fine branches, but you will see the results later on...I never prune much mine, but I'll try this method this year...Let us know how your Citronella liked her haircut....JMO