Asked on Dec 7, 2018

How can I replace these tiles ?

FlipturnNancy TurnerKathryn
+4

Hi, I have some old ceramic tiles in my very small bathroom. They are small tiles and very ugly. Can I put sticky tiles on top of them. Are they waterproof? I’m trying to go the more cheaper route if possible.

thanks.

• Since the grout lines don't look flush to the tiles, I don't think sticky tiles would work, Debra. However, if the tiles are solid - none loose, no cracks, you can retile over them.

• Debra Spellman
    Debra Spellman

Thanks

• Lynn Sorrell
    Lynn Sorrell

They look in great shape & clean,maybe just some nice thick soft big throw rugs

• Oliva
    Oliva

It's funny, but your colors are actually coming back in style in many parts of the country. The more grout lines, the less chance of slips and falls.

Are you seeking a more contemporary look on a budget? You could add a grey or black bath mat, towels, and rug, then add light grey or peach/salmon (can't be sure of color, due to monitor issues) hand towels or wash cloths.

• Kathryn
    Kathryn

Search for an article on how to paint tile. I don't remember where I saw the article but I am sure I have seen at least one. Oliva has a good idea as well and much easier with no mess. Good Luck!!!

• Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

Perhaps changing the color of the grout alone would make the tiles tolerable, or you could change one of the colors to another color to change it up. Perhaps getting rid of the peachy pink color in the tiles and the grout may make the floor more acceptable and less old fashioned.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

What is it exactly that you do not find attractive with the tiles? If it is the 'pinky' colour then my suggestion is to first, before you start buying any materials to try to alter the colour, change your light bulbs to LED. LED light is very clear, crisp, white, and non-shadowy compared with conventional incandescent bulbs. It will easily and quickly update the look of the whole bathroom.

Go to a store that has displays set up so you can see what the difference is between cool LED light and warm LED light.