Asked on Dec 14, 2018

How do I keep my Thanksgiving & Christmas cactus looking good?

BetsyMichelle Leslie2dogal
+2

• Nancy Turner

Let it dry between watering. When you water it, water it thoroughly and let it dry before you water it again. It likes to be really rootbound and can react badly to moving it, causing flowers to drop. They like plenty of light, but not direct sunlight.

• 2dogal

Yes - do what Nancy says. I do that and mine has grown very large and old.

• Michelle Leslie

Hi, you'll find a whole bunch of additional tips for caring for your Christmas Cactus here https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/cacti-succulents/christmas-cactus/limp-christmas-cactus.htm

Hi Vero: I treat mine just like any other plant, only no direct sun, or not much. I have plants in the west, south and north windows of my house. The west window plants seem to do the best. They only get direct sun for about 2 or 3 hours a day and flower quite well. The south and north plants flower, but not as well as the west plants. I give Schultz's plant food every other month and water when the soil feels dry about 1/2 inch down. I stick my finger in the dirt. The 'leaves' will look a bit wrinkled if they don't have enough water, and will turn yellow and fall off if there is too much water. I also change my soil every 3 or 4 years with a medium weight soil, nothing really heavy. I don't do the darkness thing, never have and my plants have been blooming over 50 years without it. Don't over think this and you will be o.k. Good luck