Asked on Jan 10, 2019

How do you cover paneling?

Zard PocleebJoy30150932GrandmasHouseDIY
+1

How do you cover paneling and not get the grooves that's already in the paneling?

• Christine Loranger

I used a drywall putty to fill these grooves, a light sanding and then it was ready for painting. Good luck!!!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Joan, it seems that sheet rock joint compound is used to filled the grooves. Here's a tutorial https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/how-to-fill-grooves-in-paneling-before-painting/

• Joy30150932

You can fill in the grooves with a wood filler and then sand until it is even with the other surface. Wash well to remove any wax or dust. Prime paint (Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 primer) which can be tinted to your finish color and then apply one or two coats of final paint. I have seen this done and it turned out really well. This is also the cheapest route but a little time consuming to do the prep work.

• Zard Pocleeb

You can drywall over the top of the paneling. Another option is to paint the walls. You’ll still have the lines but they will be less visible. I was in the same position as you and I painted the whole interior and it looks great.