Erica
Erica
  • Horseshoe Bend, AR
Asked on Jan 13, 2019

How can I get rid of the moss in my yard?

EricaOlivaOberlinmom

I live in North east Arkansas and last summer a few small spots of moss appeared in the grass. Due to a wet and warm winter it has spread substantially over the yard I remember my father used lime to control the moss, should I use that? or is there something else?

• Oberlinmom

Try aerating your lawn first. Moss likes hard dense surfaces. I'm not sure why you want to get rid of the moss.

• Erica

Actually you are right, this way I won't have to mow the grass, but having a grassy backyard seems more pleasing? Thank you for the suggestion about aerating the yard, just how do you do that?

• Oliva

Lime will work to raise soil pH, which should kill the moss and improve grass growth. Applybis according to package directions, using a lawn spreader. Remember to slightly overlap each row as you walk . Avoid using any fertilizer for at least a montg, so you don't "burn" your yard.

Any dense shade or excessive moisture must be remediated to prevent moss growth. You can thin out tree branch coverage, and dethatch your lawn prior to liming, if warranted.

• Erica

Thanks I will definitely do this.