Asked on Jan 15, 2019

How do I stop the rain water from running from my neighbor’s yard?

Paul DempseyKelli L. MilliganRebecca Taylor


How do I stop the rain water from running from my neighbor’s yard to my yard?

4 answers
  • Technically that is against the law. You can handle this a number of ways. You can build a berm or swale, install French drains, a dry creekbed. These all cost you money. You could mention it to them and see if they will do something about it, or at least go half with you on a solution. Or notify your local municipality and let them handle it. Last resort is to hire an attorney. Let's hope it doesn't get that far.

  • Rebecca Taylor
    on Jan 15, 2019

    Hi Elisa, here is a link to a professional that gives you tips on how to stop water from flooding your yard.

  • Kelli L. Milligan
    on Jan 15, 2019

    If it's due to down spouts, you have to ask then if they could redirect. If not you'll have to address by landscaping. May have to build a berm, re grade. I'd talk to a landscape archetect.

  • Paul Dempsey
    on Jan 16, 2019

    If you are in a development then drainage and water management was addressed when the house was built. If you are in the country, water management may still be a factor, but less official means may be available. The fact of the matter is that the water has to go somewhere.

    When it rains my front yard becomes a river because I live at the bottom of the hill. I technically cannot do anything about the runoff until it gets to my yard. You can discuss with your neighbors, bu in all likelihood, they won't know how or won't be willing to address the issue.

    To prevent erosion, leave your grass a little taller in the drainage field to slow the water so it does not whisk your soil away. You may need to take measures to get good grass growth, including using that plastic mesh straw to hold down seed and soil until the ground and grass is stable.

    A dry run river bed is an option suggested above. But you can also install culverts and drain pipes underground to carry the water off. In most places you will either need to pass the water to the same place it now drains or get the county to help you acess where to direct the water to so as to not affect flood management further down the line.

Your comment...