Faux Coil Tribal Painted Basket

$15

Tucked away near the hardware in your local big box store is a treasure. I love cotton cording and I want to shout it from the rooftops. Why would anyone use this stuff to hang their laundry when it can be customized in so many crafty ways? The possibilities for this stuff are endless! You can paint it, wrap it with neon yarn and even dye it. I think the dye method might be my fave. I have started collecting coiled baskets. One day I will have enough to make my dream gallery wall of them. Today I'm sharing a painted tribal basket.

SUPPLIES– Scissors–  Tulip Soft Fabric Paint Home Decor Colors– Cotton Clothesline– Thrifted Clear Plastic Plate or Tray– Tacky Glue

Your plastic plate is going to act as a substrate for your coiled dish. Cover the top of your plastic dish with Tacky Glue. Starting at the center begin coiling your cord.

Once your cording is in place draw your design with a Tulip Fabric Marker. Fill in your design with Tulip for Your Home Soft Fabric Paint in metallics and black. If you opted for an oval rather than a circle you may have to get creative with your cording and some clothespins.

Can't wait to make a neon version next!Check out more fun from Jennifer Perkins on my blog.

Jennifer Perkins

• Lindy

I love this! Question is did you use an oval tray to get the elongated finished product or is it just the way you layed your rope on a round tray? Do you have a photo of the one you used?

• Sandra Allen

That is how they make money. If I had the worlds largest DIY site in the world, I would too.

• Nita

what color is the outside of the basket? Is it the color of the cord?

• Iami S. Badu

I believe the outside will be the plastic plate and show the plain colored rope.

• Heje

Does the tacky glue hold well and keep all the coils together without drying out?

Beautiful authentic looking.