Faux Coil Tribal Painted Basket

$15

Tucked away near the hardware in your local big box store is a treasure. I love cotton cording and I want to shout it from the rooftops. Why would anyone use this stuff to hang their laundry when it can be customized in so many crafty ways? The possibilities for this stuff are endless! You can paint it, wrap it with neon yarn and even dye it. I think the dye method might be my fave. I have started

faux coil tribal painted basket

SUPPLIES– Scissors–  Tulip Soft Fabric Paint Home Decor Colors– Cotton Clothesline– Thrifted Clear Plastic Plate or Tray– Tacky Glue

faux coil tribal painted basket

Your plastic plate is going to act as a substrate for your coiled dish. Cover the top of your plastic dish with Tacky Glue. Starting at the center begin coiling your cord.

faux coil tribal painted basket

Once your cording is in place draw your design with a Tulip Fabric Marker. Fill in your design with Tulip for Your Home Soft Fabric Paint in metallics and black. If you opted for an oval rather than a circle you may have to get creative with your cording and some clothespins.

faux coil tribal painted basket

Can't wait to make a neon version next!Check out more fun from Jennifer Perkins on my blog.

faux coil tribal painted basket
Jennifer Perkins

• Melinda

Do you coil only the inside of the clear basket, or are you doing the outside too? How well do they hold up with use?

• Betty

It looks like she only coiled on the inside, and I'm guessing this basket will be hung as decor rather than be in use.

• Lindy

I love this! Question is did you use an oval tray to get the elongated finished product or is it just the way you layed your rope on a round tray? Do you have a photo of the one you used?

• Lindy

I did that and I agree on the having to go to blog. I still couldn't tell what was the ecact item she used since the Amazon link had 2 itme that didn't look like what the crafter used. In hind sight I just looked at the photo again and it is the oval shaped low height bowl she may have used. Thanks Sunny for spurring me on to discovery!

• Nita

what color is the outside of the basket? Is it the color of the cord?

• Edie Zsuzsics

Beautiful! I've done something similar to add additional interest to the bottom of the basket. Before gluing the rope to the plastic tray I modpodged a round piece of printed fabric onto the plastic tray. Turn the fabric upsidedown so the pattern shows through on the bottom of the clear plastic tray. Let dry. Then use your glue to complete the coiled rope in the inside of the tray. And proceed as she shows o

in this post. Just a little added oomph.

• Nina Li

I love it! Thanks for sharing. 🌷👍