How can I remove this from ceramic planter?

+5

I don’t know if this is mold/mildew, but I’ve tried scrubbing with soap and bleach to remove it but that didn’t work. Any suggestions, or should I ignore it? Thanks!

q how can i remove this from ceramic planter
  • Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Feb 27, 2019

Some ceramics are prone to stains. If that's the inside just fill with dirt and you won't notice it. If on outside paint with Killz and then with an enamel paint.

• Betsy Betsy on Feb 27, 2019

Hi Patricia: Looks like you've got some dirt and minerals stuck to the planter. Try this:

Soak the edge of a cleaning rag with white vinegar and wipe it across the calcium deposits. Continue until all deposits are removed. Then, fill a sink with enough hot water to submerge the ceramic pot and add in 1 cup vinegar per quart of water. This is often required for heavier calcium buildup. Soak the pots in the water for 15 minutes. Drain the water and refill the sink with plain hot water and a squirt of dish soap. Scrub down the pots to remove the loosened calcium buildup and the leftover vinegar solution. Rinse the pots and dry with a clean, dry rag. You can also set the pot in the sun for a day to get it really dry. Then, refill and use again:) Good luck

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Feb 28, 2019

just reuse the pot as is dirt will cover it any chemicals cleaning solution may leach into the pot and end up killing your plant, or if it's an herb or veggie maybe should not eat it.

• Patricia Patricia on Feb 28, 2019

Thank you ladies!

• Dawn English Dawn English on Feb 28, 2019

I would use a small wire brush gently. No chemicals, no cost for paint. I have the same problem and this is what I do.

• Anita Fix Anita Fix on Feb 28, 2019

it's just dirt stain. once you replant and the plants grow you will not see it

• Mona Blake Mona Blake on Mar 01, 2019

Often it is minerals from water. Calcium deposits. If you use filtered water, this will reduce the deposits.