Asked on Mar 2, 2019

How do I seal the roof of our motor home?

Charlotte, a smart old ladyWilliamNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+6

We have a '96 London Aire Motorhome. The roof started leaking a year and a half ago. We hired someone to put a sealant on it last summer. It worked for awhile, but this year we've had heavy amounts of snow & have noticed it's leaking again. It's not to the extent of seeing it dripping water, but I can see new wet spots in the ceiling. Help!!

• Gk
    Gk

Hello Kim! here is some information for you: https://rvshare.com/blog/ultimate-guide-rv-roof-repair/

Do you have a cover for your motor home? It sounds like you leave it stored outside in the winter. The cover will cost a few hundred dollars but will save you from any further damage of snow and ice after you make repairs.

• Kim McCart
      Kim McCart

Guess I forgot to mention one very important factor. We live in it year round. I will check out the blog. Thanks for your kind advice.

• Sandy
    Sandy

Flexseal in a can. Hope this helped

• Next winter cover with a tarp. I live where it gets brutally hot in the summer and no matter what you do besides building a hanger, which is not an option for most RV owners, we cover with a tarp. Helps with run off and minimizes leaks.

William

Don't use Flexseal. It bubbles, peels, and breaks down over time. Good for a temporary fix. You need a rubberized roof coating. Need to be flexible with expansion and contraction.

• Even tho you have an older model, if the manufacture is still in business, call them and ask for what to do. You can Google for the number to call. I've found they are a great source. Years ago, we bought a used 5th Wheel. We were new to RVing. The manufacture gave us a great amount of information and said to stop by if we were traveling that way. We did that. You couldn't have met nicer people. They gave us a tour of their facility and let us park free overnight in their lot. Don't let it go without doing something. If you notice moisture, you could end up with mold and that's a very bad thing to happen health wise.It can give you breathing problems among other things.

• Kim McCart
      Kim McCart

Thank you so much for the kind advice. I forgot to mention that we live in it year round. I'm going to call the dealership this week.