Washing Machine Cleaning Tutorial

$5

If you love this project, be sure to subscribe to our blog to receive updates regularly!

Even though your washing machine is used for washing things….it still needs to be cleaned! Learn how to clean your washing machine naturally in this easy step by step tutorial.

By following these steps for how to clean washing machine, you’ll be able to solve mold, mildew & gross smells coming from your washer!

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN IT’S TIME TO CLEAN YOUR WASHING MACHINE?

Well, in our case, it was more than obvious! If dirty pictures gross you out – quick, scroll ahead!

It was in desperate need of a deep cleaning, so I thought it would be a perfect chance to teach you how to clean your washing machine! I think you’re going to love this tutorial!

MAKE VINEGAR CLEANING SOLUTION.

I mix about half water and half white distilled cleaning vinegar. If you don’t like the smell of vinegar, you can mix in some essential oils. I added about 10 drops of lavender.

WIPE DOWN WASHING MACHINE.

Dip a cleaning rag in your vinegar/water solution and start wiping! 

I usually wipe down the washing machine in this order:

-Entire outside

-Inside of door

-The rubber seal

CLEAN SOAP TRAYS AND DRAWER.

Remove your soap trays and wash those in the sink. Wipe down the entire inside of the drawer with the rag soaked with the vinegar solution.

EMPTY FILTER.

Be sure you take out the filter and get all the gunk out. 

CLEAN RUBBER GASKET OF WASHING MACHINE.

Sprinkle rubber seal with baking soda. Then grab the rag, wipe everything again.

RUN WASHING MACHINE CLEAN CYCLE.

Toss the rest of your baking soda into the drum of the washing machine along with any towels or rags you used.

After your washing machine is done with the clean cycle, open the door immediately and wipe everything down again.

Cleaning your washing machine is a not so fun part of adulting, but if you stay on top of it, it shouldn’t take long to get your front loading washing machine spic and span again! 

If you love these cleaning tips and want to learn more like it, be sure to check out all of my homemaking tutorials in the archives here!

Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

• Rachel

I have dogs and did have horses and my filter is well and truly jammed and no one can shift it at all even with pliers which broke the piece that you turn it with! Fortunately it is so blocked that it doesn't leak ....

But the inside of the rubber is literally black and I have tried all sorts to try and shift it to no avail - any ideas as well as the one listed please?

• Michelle H

I can only go by my washer, yours will no doubt be some different. When my rubber gasket gets nasty I normally resort to bleach. That tight gasket that fits closely to the drum can be a bear to put back in its place, not impossible, but not easy especially for arthritic hands. Spraying bleach and using a toothbrush works for the inside of the larger gasket's drain holes. So in your case you may need to spray, let sit and spray again and repeat. I would run a cleaning cycle after this bleach cleaning or only wash light colored towels afterwards. But if your entire gasket is black, as you say, then that has to be mold, and bleach is the best way to clean and kill the mold. IF you have ALREADY used this method to no avail, I apologize for wasting your time.

NOW, everybody who is into everything natural PLEASE don't bite my head off. I strive to use more and more natural and eco-friendly laundry, kitchen and household cleaners myself. But once you have a major mold issue like is described above, I'm only trying to help her save her machine. I have no idea how to save the jammed filter beyond a service man coming out.

• Gaye

How do you open the filter door on a LG front loader,please? I have cleaned the rest but have never been able to do this.

• Gaye

I know where the door is, it's getting it open that is the problem. Thanks for answering so quick

• Jeanne Bratton

I can’t find the filter in my machine

• Deidre

I keep a washcloth on the side of the machine and wipe the rubber gasket, drum and glass window after every load. Besides our clothes, we have 6 dogs and lots of furniture covers and dog beds to keep clean. Front loader is 6 years old and I’ve never had bad smells or mold problems. Just toss the washcloth into the machine when done and it will clean with the next load.

• Michelle H

Thanks for this article. I'm learning baking soda and vinegar are THE cleaner for nearly every household cleaning situation.