Washing Machine Cleaning Tutorial

$5

If you love this project, be sure to subscribe to our blog to receive updates regularly!

Even though your washing machine is used for washing things….it still needs to be cleaned! Learn how to clean your washing machine naturally in this easy step by step tutorial.

By following these steps for how to clean washing machine, you’ll be able to solve mold, mildew & gross smells coming from your washer!

washing machine cleaning tutorial

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN IT’S TIME TO CLEAN YOUR WASHING MACHINE?

Well, in our case, it was more than obvious! If dirty pictures gross you out – quick, scroll ahead!

It was in desperate need of a deep cleaning, so I thought it would be a perfect chance to teach you how to clean your washing machine! I think you’re going to love this tutorial!

washing machine cleaning tutorial

MAKE VINEGAR CLEANING SOLUTION.

I mix about half water and half white distilled cleaning vinegar. If you don’t like the smell of vinegar, you can mix in some essential oils. I added about 10 drops of lavender.

washing machine cleaning tutorial

WIPE DOWN WASHING MACHINE.

Dip a cleaning rag in your vinegar/water solution and start wiping! 

I usually wipe down the washing machine in this order:

-Entire outside

-Inside of door

-The rubber seal

washing machine cleaning tutorial

CLEAN SOAP TRAYS AND DRAWER.

Remove your soap trays and wash those in the sink. Wipe down the entire inside of the drawer with the rag soaked with the vinegar solution.

washing machine cleaning tutorial

EMPTY FILTER.

Be sure you take out the filter and get all the gunk out. 

washing machine cleaning tutorial

CLEAN RUBBER GASKET OF WASHING MACHINE.

Sprinkle rubber seal with baking soda. Then grab the rag, wipe everything again.

RUN WASHING MACHINE CLEAN CYCLE.

Toss the rest of your baking soda into the drum of the washing machine along with any towels or rags you used.

After your washing machine is done with the clean cycle, open the door immediately and wipe everything down again.

washing machine cleaning tutorial
washing machine cleaning tutorial

Cleaning your washing machine is a not so fun part of adulting, but if you stay on top of it, it shouldn’t take long to get your front loading washing machine spic and span again! 

If you love these cleaning tips and want to learn more like it, be sure to check out all of my homemaking tutorials in the archives here!

Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

• Jo

I have a top loading machine, what can be done to clean it? Mine is a heavy duty maytag about 20 yrs old. Thx :)

• Same idea. Access all the parts you can to wipe clean. Use a tooth brush for the inside ledges at the top. That's where most of the dirt builds up.

Remove anything removable to clean and replace.

• Kimberly Fish Bass

Where is the filter located on older washers?

• Jerry Lynn

I have lot of pint size mason jars. I've seen various crafting ideas, but they still look like mason jars. Any more sophisticated Looks?

• Lana Hassell

Hi, Jerry Lynn,

I know that it says "Ask a Question" above these questions , but they are supposed to be for this project only. To get an answer to your question, go to the homepage of HOMETALK. On the homepage, you will find ,at the top of the page, a blue box that has the word "Ask" in it. Click on that and you will be able to ask your question in the correct place and you will get answers from that. Good luck. 🌹💖😘

• Adrian

Never realized my front load has a filter. I must research my machine

• Anne Marie Orme

I was just thinking the same thing. I've had mine for 8 years now and never even thought of a filter; guess who's cleaning out her filter when she gets home from work tonight? This girls husband that's who, it's going to be frightful and I'm not touching it. ;)

• Tallulah Cusati

Yes. Thank you.