Tall DIY Succulent Planter

$20

Do you love succulents? Looking for a DIY upcycled planter idea? Then this three-tier succulent planter is just for you. Search out an old bowl, teapot and teacup to create your unusual cake tier succulent display. If you prefer a vertical wall display of plants check out my upcycled cake tin planter. Start by drilling holes in the crockery, centrally, at a suitable size for your cake tier stand centre handle fittings.

tall diy succulent planter

Use some chalk paint spray or similar to spray the three items, take your time, spray thin layers so you don't have dripping paint.

tall diy succulent planter

Insert the first metal support in the bowl add succulent soil and then plants.

tall diy succulent planter

Think about the height and arrangement of the plants as you build the planter.

tall diy succulent planter

Add your next layer of crockery, succulent soil and lastly a couple of plants.

tall diy succulent planter

Once your planter is filled, gently brush excess soil off the plants. I use a paint brush for this.

tall diy succulent planter

Spray lightly with water and enjoy your finished tall planter - they make a great table centre piece.

tall diy succulent planter

My big decision, where to keep the finished display?!

tall diy succulent planter
Vickymcreations

• Dsouther

This is so cute. I just love it. I wonder if herbs would grow well in this? I would not have painted the dishes though unless they all didn't match or if the design looked weird in my kitchen.

• Teri

Herbs grow larger and need more soil for proper root growth. I wouldn’t try in this project

• Nada

How do you drill holes in ceramic teapots, teacups, and such? Thanks! :)

• Fleurette

You can get a glass drill bit at any home improvement store. I use them for glass block, plates, any glass item I want to drill a hole into.

• Sonya

I also want to know how you drilled the holes? If you used a drill, what bit did you use?

• Kathleen DeVries

I have used a dremel kit, diamond bit to drill holes into cups, plates, and glass. Don’t forget to wear eye protective gear!