Marlene drasher
Marlene drasher
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Etters, PA
Asked on Mar 21, 2019

Should I sand my kitchen cabinets and start all over?

Marlene drasherGathered In The KitchenKelli L. Milligan

as i went to paint the main kitchen color and removed the tape...off came the area that was painted and glazed. i am out of the glaze color., but only need about a foot worth. it is so hard to match after the job is done. also, i took an old buffet and made it into a bathroom vanity..i stained the wood and there is a spot about the size of a dinner plate that would not blend. need to know ...should i sand it all down again and start over? frustrated jobs.

• Kelli L. Milligan

On the bathroom vanity, did you strip it first? The part that's not blending is it stain, stain with finish? Maybe that spot has oil on it or hasn't been sanded enough. May have to strip clean and redo. As for as kichen, hopefully you can touch it up and match it. Good luck.

• Gathered In The Kitchen

I would suggest stripping the vanity (is it just on the top? I’d so, just strip that area) and starting fresh and make sure you have really cleaned the wood good. Also use a primer first to help block and stains, etc before painting. We have used Kilz Max and had great success on our projects.

Good luck!

• Marlene drasher

thanks so much. for the bathroom, a great idea in using a primer first. i did not do that. i realized after the fact that maple wood is very hard to stain. the counter is pure maple.