How do I grow sunflowers in my yard?

+5

I have an area in my back yard. I would like to grow sunflowers? Can I get how when etc instructions please.

• Amanda Amanda on Mar 27, 2019

Hi Paul. When you purchase the seeds it should say the best time to plant them and the spacing. In WI I wait until late May. The soil has to be warm enough for them to germinate. Good Luck!

• Paul Goody Paul Goody on Mar 27, 2019

Thank you,

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 27, 2019

Hi Paul: The hardest thing about planting Sunflowers is to choose the ones you want. There are so many varieties it will make you nuts:) I like the Teddy Bear ones, the kind that attract bees, tall ones, short ones, I can go on and on, but instead I will direct you to this site which tells you all about these wonderful flowers: https://www.americanmeadows.com/wildflower-seeds/sunflower-seeds/all-about-sunflowers

If you have little kids, you can plant the taller variety in a large semi circle and make something like a sunflower room for the kids to go into and read or play:)

Good luck.

• Paul Goody Paul Goody on Mar 27, 2019

Thank you

• What zone are you in Paul?

There are so many varieties, it can make your head spin. I feed the birds black oil sunflower seeds and they pop up everywhere and I just let them grow. I am in zone 9 and they grow almost year round for me with no effort on my part. Fantastic for the birds and bees! 🌞

• Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Mar 28, 2019

It's best to do this in a pot because sunflowers will not grow in cool soil.

• Ann Ann on Mar 28, 2019

save your egg shells, fill with soil and plant your seed-fun for kids place in a sunny window-wait until late April when weather warms up in WI

• Oliva Oliva on Mar 31, 2019

Note that chipmunks, squirrels, birds and ground hogs love sunflowers!