Marcie
Marcie
Asked on Apr 12, 2019

How do I make a natural grout cleaner?

JewellmartinJoy30150932Margaret
+6

We have colored grout and tile on kitchen floor. The grout has dirt and grease buildup, especially in the high traffic areas. Any suggestions on a nontoxic cleaning solution? We have pets and kids. Thank you!!

• hydrogen peroxide and baking soda paste. Use a toothbrush to scrub it in,

• Margaret

Try baking soda and vinegar mixed or I always just use Clorox because it also disinfects. With the Clorox I just pour some along the grout lines with my watering can or use a spray bottle so I know it is covered good. Let stand for a little while...maybe 15 minutes and then test by wiping up a small spot with a green scrubby...if it is still stubborn give it more time to work and then it should look as good as new.

• Margaret

After you get the grout clean you can put a sealer on it and that helps tremendously with future cleaning. You can put a sealer on the whole floor or you can just use a small paint brush and put it just on the grout lines. You can also paint the grout lines but you definitely need to seal it then. Hope this helps!

• Joy30150932

My favorite go to grout cleaner is Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner. I have tried many others and have found this to be the best one yet. It is a gel, so you place a bit in the corner of four tiles, brush it along the grout lines with a toothbrush, let sit 10-15 minutes and use the toothbrush to scrub a little. When they are clean, use a sponge or a rag dipped in warm water and vinegar to kill the soap residue. I like the sponge since you can squeeze it out really well. After that use either a floor steamer of a damp mop to go over the whole floor again. My grout is a silver grey. If your grout is dark, remember, this is bleach mix.

• Jewellmartin

If you clean the grout often, I would recommend Scrubbing Bubbles once a week. Otherwise, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and a toothbrush and water to rinse would be the way to go. It’s easier to keep up than to catch up, as my husband often tells me. Best wishes!