Asked on Apr 13, 2019

How do I remove old tiles and install new floors?

Danielle OdinJpo1877224Crystal Meyer Griffith
+13

My old tiles are in a really bad shape and hard to remove

q how do i remove old tiles and install new floors
  • Unique Creations By Anita

I think the best way would be a hammer and chisel.

• John

Small mallet will do, and looks like you need to redo the plywood under it.

• Laura C. Fergie

What kind of tile? If it is stick on you can use a steamer! If not a hammer and a lot of elbow grease!! Good luck!

• Renee Devries

I’d be careful. It looks like they might be old enough to have asbestos. I’d get a professional to check them out first, just in case. Good luck!

Looks like vinyl tile glued over concrete. If so, clean it as best as you can. Use a latex modified leveling compound over it. Fill in that "hole" with concrete.

• Akila

Thanks

• Edith Freeman Franklin

Take out sub floor and all. Chip some tiles up don't try to separate from sub floor... It all looks unuseable

makes a HUGE mess!

• Crystal Meyer Griffith

Depends on what the tiles are glued to. If wood, consider taking up the subfloor or possible the 1/4" underlayment (if present) and starting over. If concrete, you need a bladed tool like one of these: www.amazon.com/s?k=floor+scraper&i=tools&crid=3PVVP2LXP76Y1&sprefix=scrape%2Caps%2C188&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_6 I got the small heavy duty scraper for under $8 and it worked great with my heat gun. Can also re-sharpen if needed. I was working in a small space too.

I don't think the tile has asbestos b/c it appears to be 12" tile. The 9" tile was the one made with asbestos in the past. If the tile was put down with mastic, it will require lots of elbow grease. However, you could try using a heat gun CAREFULLY to loosen it and scrape it up. Having a cardboard box handy to scrape the loosened tile into will help because the glues/mastics that can be loosened with heat will be very sticky and nasty to deal with. Once the tile is up and you have smears of mastic, try soap & water mopping before going to a solvent. Dang near killed myself with mineral spirits that didn't work on my wooden BR floor. I decided to use soap & water to clean up the mineral spirits and that's when the mastic/glue came off the floor!

Just buy some rental property and you'll learn all kinds of new repair tricks! LOL

• Jpo1877224

😳Yikes ‼️ I suggest you hire a professional. Best of luck♥️

• Danielle Odin

This doesn't look like real tile. It looks like vinyl made to look like tile. You can steam it off for self stick or scrape it off for the real linoleum. Using a blow dryer helps to soften it a bit making it easier to handle. If your substrate is wood you may have to replace that with a good exterior plywood. If it is concrete you will have to layer a coat of cement and smooth it out so that other material will adhere better. Once that is done and dried well, you can put whatever your heart desires as flooring. Good luck.