Hermon
Hermon
  • Antioch, TN
Asked on Apr 22, 2019

How do I choose a lawn tractor?

Nancy TurnerAhillyKelli L. Milligan
+2

I am shopping a lawn tractor without prior knowledge of these machines. just moved to a house with 3\4 an acre yard. I would like an advice as which brands are the best for the money.

• Barbara

Buy one with either a Honda engine or Briggs & Stratton. Easier startup and more places repair these engines. Brand not that important though we have been pleased with our Husqvarna .

• Natalie

You may want to look into a used lawn tractor for the most bang for your buck. We have a used john deere lawn tractor and have been very happy with it.

• Kelli L. Milligan

The engine is very important. Go to library and look at Consumer Repots magazines for help.

• Ahilly

That’s not too big of a yard to mow with a gas powered mower, unless you have health issues or are a senior citizen. It can be mowed in sections, and not all at once. If it’s not hilly also...you might want to check the price for a lawn service, especially since you just moved in.

• Nancy Turner

I agree with both Barbara and Natalie. Used can last many years. Getting a good named engine will assure you that parts will be available just about anywhere, and most repair places will be able to fix them without a problem or do it yourself if you know how to repair them. We purchased a 1989 snow blower five years ago because I couldn't afford a newer one and it lasted to this day. It had its hiccups, but were easy to find replacement parts. Our son was home from truck driving for one of our really big snows and went out to do the drive and decided it was just too hard on hubby to use it anymore, so he went out and bought him a new one and we gave the old one to the girl across the street so she wouldn't have to shovel her large driveway herself (we usually do it anyway).