Kathy
Kathy

How do I clean wood paneling before I paint?

Emy Flint | Semigloss DesignDebi53Rebecca Taylor
+1

There is a solution that is out there where you clean the wood and leave the solution on without having to wipe it off.

• Not really as then even the primer wouldn't stick. TSP is what I use to clean any surface before priming and painting.

• Rebecca Taylor

Hi Kathy, I agree with Naomie that there really isn't anything that you can just leave on. I don't keep tsp around so I just use dawn ultra in hot water and then wipe down with clear water.

• Debi53

I have used a liquid sander/deglosser on every type of wood including paneling for 40 years. There are many brands. Follow the directions. Then use a bonding primer made to stick to slick surfaces. Then your paint of choice. The liquid sandpaper makes the surface tacky so that the primer will stick. This stuff works great and is easy to use. Don't skimp, use plenty.

• You might be thinking about deglosser, but that doesn't clean the wood. It just roughs up the surface.

Always clean the wood and if you use soap, be sure to wash it again with plain water. Soap will prevent the paint from sticking.