How to keep squirrels from digging in my planters?

+4
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on May 14, 2019

Hi Barbara,

Put down broken pieces of ceremic, flat stones, anything they cannot get through.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on May 14, 2019

Sprinkle "Blood Meal" around the base of the plants and they will not come.

• Richard Richard on May 14, 2019

take a knee high nylon put table spoon cayenne red pepper in it tie it closed and they will stay away

• Get a bag of blood meal from the nursery, spread through garden. The squirrels don't like blood smell at all and it also is a mild fertilizer

• River rocks! Place on top of soil. Choose a size that is too heavy for them to push aside. Any home improvement center sells different sizes in bags for a few dollars. Makes the plants look pretty too.

• Barbara Hock Commers Barbara Hock Commers on May 18, 2019

Thanks! I will try the blood meal and let you know if it worked

• Barbara Hock Commers Barbara Hock Commers on Jul 08, 2019

Well I have tried the Blood Meal around the base of the planters and it works! I have a total of 15 planters through out my front and back yard. No squirrels digging at all! I will add more Blood Meal about once a month to make sure they don’t return! Highly recommend using this.